Thread: FLU419 Diesel engine does not shut off

Private
    Thanks

Default FLU419 Diesel engine does not shut off

Hello all,
    I run in a weird situation a few days ago: one of my FLU419's did not shut off even after I put the hand throttle in off position.
    I heard of situations like this on Mercedes diesel cars when they have an issue with the vacuum shut-off valve. But the Flu419 does not have a vacuum line to shut off.
    Not only that the engine didn't shut off it also rev'ed up. The only way to stop it was cutting off the fuel.

Has anybody had a situation like this before? Any hint, what causes that issue and how to fix it?

Thanks

Ede356

Thanks

Your throttle linkage was likely bent, which will cause it to go overcenter and increase the throttle. I believe this happened on a prior FLU I had and I was able to pull up the foot throttle to shut it off. Check the linkage on the engine side of the firewall by the foot and hand throttle. This is covered somewhere in the main owner thread.

For future reference, you can shut the engine off by putting it in high gear and stalling it or by reaching above the Passenger side tire and directly actuating the shut-off on the IP. Both are easier on the IP than starving it of fuel.

One last option is if you tried to pull something solid and pushed the clutch in right before stall. The engine can actually run in reverse. But it will sound different as it is sucking air in the exhaust and out the intake. In this case, you must stall it to kill it quickly as it is running without oil pressure.

Private
    Thanks

Speedwoble,
    thank you for your advise.
    The linkage is not bent.
    I even took the engine cover inside of the cabin off and actuated the lever so that it went in its "Off" position...

Where do I find the shut off on the IP?

Thanks

It is the same as the throttle, just pulled the opposite way.

Sergeant
    Thanks

this just happened to me tonight. only thing i could think to do was close off the fuel line with the valve by the tank. also tried to cover the intake air at the same time. Eventually it died but it took a while and was running very high RPM's. since i dont know what caused this, i'm nervous to go start it back up again...