Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Towing MEP 803a

Corporal
    Thanks

Default Towing MEP 803a

I won a bid for this generator on Govplanet. I live in PA and the genset is located over 3 hours away. Since its bolted to a trailer do I need to register it? I have been trying to find an answer on Penndot site but its useless. I have lights for it and the proper hitch with chains. Its under 3,000 lbs. Is it legal in PA to tow with no plate or registration?

General
    Thanks

Default No Idea about Legality, but......

Where is unit located? If Letterkenny Army Depot check out this post: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...hambersburg-PA

Several guys have had problems with PA DOT enforcement. Evidently, I've been lucky: I pulled an MEP803A on a trailer in late 2016 and 2 separate trailers out of their yard in mid 2017 with no problems. I was driving my F250 each time - private vehicle, VA plates, no temp tag for trailers.

Search the SS site for tips on recovery - you will need extra shackles or other chain 'stretchers', depending on year of trailer you may need 12 volt tail lights and a mil trailer to civilian truck adapter or the Walmart style temp trailer light system, air compressor or air tank: the tire pressures will be low, nylon zip ties for mounting temp wire and such.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zed254; 11-01-2019 at 09:34.

Corporal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zed254 View Post
    Where is unit located? If Letterkenny Army Depot check out this post: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...hambersburg-PA

Several guys have had problems with PA DOT enforcement. Evidently, I've been lucky: I pulled an MEP803A on a trailer in late 2016 and 2 separate trailers out of their yard in mid 2017 with no problems. I was driving my F250 each time - private vehicle, VA plates, no temp tag for trailers.

Search the SS site for tips on recovery - you will need extra shackles or other chain 'stretchers', depending on year of trailer you may need 12 volt tail lights and a mil trailer to civilian truck adapter or the Walmart style temp trailer light system, air compressor or air tank: the tire pressures will be low, nylon zip ties for mounting temp wire and such.
    Thank you. I read the posts. It scared me to think driving 140 miles one way to pick up a genset trailer only to have it impounded on the way home. I have decided to spend the money and pay for transport to my home. Thank you again.

4 Star General
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 845 Posts

Looks like in PA there is no exemption for registering mobile generators.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...&div=0&chpt=13

In NC mobile generators do not require registration so long as the trailer moves only the generator and the accessories directly related to the generator.
    Chris Medico
    MEP-003a (sold), MEP-803a, MEP-802a, & MEP-831a

Thanks
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 590 Posts

Why not just go ahead and register the trailer in PA before the recovery and take the tag with you? Use trailer towing lights and you should be good to go.
    Gary
    US Army 1970-1971 MOS: 11D20 (Scout)
    2/36th Infantry, 3rd Armored Division
    USAR 1972-1973
    MVPA: #32652

2003 M1030M1 USMC Diesel Motorcycle
    1998 AM General M35A3 W/W and M66 Gun Ring
    1969 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 W/W (Sold)
    2000 M149A2 (USMC) Water Buffalo Trailer
    1968 Johnson M105A2 Trailer
    1992 M116A2 Trailer
    1987 XM1061E1 Trailer
    MEP-003A Gen Set
    30D36R 3 KW Gen Set ex-NC ANG (Sold)

Corporal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glcaines View Post
    Why not just go ahead and register the trailer in PA before the recovery and take the tag with you? Use trailer towing lights and you should be good to go.
    No title from US gov, no certificate of origin. You need to submit the proper forms. Penndot is a real pain in the ass. By the time I get all that stuff i would be charged storage fees. Besides not having the right hitch. To much red tape. I am hiring a transporter. Govplanet has listed the wrong weight for the genset. It weighs far more than 2500 lbs combined weight and genset.

General
    Thanks

My 803 is sitting on an M116A3 trailer. Shipping weight shows as 2,660 lbs. What kind of trailer is your generator sitting on? My trailer plate indicates an empty weight of 960 lbs.

Corporal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zed254 View Post
    My 803 is sitting on an M116A3 trailer. Shipping weight shows as 2,660 lbs. What kind of trailer is your generator sitting on? My trailer plate indicates an empty weight of 960 lbs.
    The one the military mounts the 803a on. Its a very well made steel trailer. I dont know its weight without the genset.

General
    Thanks

Mine looks like the tan picture: it's an MEP-803A sitting on an M116A3. The second picture is my MEP-802A sitting on a Light Tactical Trailer generator chassis. Curb weight on the LTT is 1175 lbs. So if yours is sitting on an LTT it's about 200 lbs heavier than mine. Call it 2860 lbs shipping weight. Good luck with your shipment.

Colonel
    Thanks

Does your state do trip permits? I know here you pay for a 3 day permit to haul or drive pretty much anything you want as long as it's reasonably arguable to be road worthy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast