• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing Trac-Lok Clutch Retaining Clip - Can't Get Spider Gears Out

huskerfan

Hey guys - Need some help on removing the spider gears from my 60 on my 86 M1028.

I tore the front axle down to replace the inner axle seals since they were leaking, and when i pulled the carrier, i noticed that the clutch discs retaining clips on one side of the carrier had both broken and gotten wedged in their holes. I was able to take them out and have new ones, but i can't get the spider gears removed so that i can drop the clutch discs and slide the new retaining clips back in. I pulled the crosspin, but the spider gears will not budge. Tried putting the shafts in and having a buddy hold one shaft while i tried to spin the other shaft, but no luck. Any ideas here, or am i missing something?

andyh1956

Here U go!
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://media.spicerparts.com/cfs/files/media/kF8WeN3yGdv9Pn52d/5314-2.pdf?store=original[/FONT]

huskerfan

Thank you so much!!! I had messed around with it and got them out by partially putting the axle shaft back in the axle housing, propping the carrier in there, sticking a screw driver in the axle shaft to prevent it from turning, and rotating the carrier by partially sliding the crosspin in and using a cheater pipe on it while i had a long piece of all thread slid in on the other side of the axle as a spreader for the side gears. It was some definite redneckery that's for sure lol

This manual will make it a lot easier to get back together as i had to come about the way i did it from many different resources. thank you again!!