• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaky PTO Woes

fpchief

I just had my PTO rebuilt with all new bearings and bragged about what an excellent job the shop did...well, i installed it today and just got finished filling it up with fluid and it started leaking from the output shaft area...I had originally taken it off due to leaks around the other seals.

So, before i go up there to take it back, is there anything i am missing? Its not like it needs to spin to seat in correctly or anything right? And once the fluid it that level, it is a constant drip.

davidb56

the output shaft could be pitted or scored, the seal is a single lip seal and is riding on the wore area, or (doubtful) they installed it backwards.

Maybe the shaft needs a speedy sleeve where it rides on the seal ?
Maybe with new bearings the gears are to tight and need a little more shims to space it farther out from the transmission ?
The gear lash has changed
Copper washers on the mounting studs under the nuts will seal the threads .

fpchief

I figure it has to be something with the shaft or seal. Dont think it was a lash issue...pto flushed right up to trans when installing, has not been ran yet either.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... just got finished filling it up with fluid and it started leaking from the output shaft area...
... once the fluid it that level, it is a constant drip.
Assuming it is the front output shaft - and the oil comes out between the shaft and the bearing cap (?), something is wrong with the oil seal, like damaged during install or incorrect size.
Easier then pulling the whole unit; just remove the output flange and then the bearing cap/ seal carrier. Then clean & inspect the seal and the condition of the shaft. Also measure the (free)inner diameter of the seal: it should be 30mm or less.

If you really have that much of a leak, the cause of it should be very evident.

fpchief

Assuming it is the front output shaft - and the oil comes out between the shaft and the bearing cap (?), something is wrong with the oil seal, like damaged during install or incorrect size.
Easier then pulling the whole unit; just remove the output flange and then the bearing cap/ seal carrier. Then clean & inspect the seal and the condition of the shaft. Also measure the (free)inner diameter of the seal: it should be 30mm or less.

If you really have that much of a leak, the cause of it should be very evident.
I hadn't gotten the driveshaft on yet so I just took it back off and left it at the shop for them to fix tomorrow. Only problem is I have NO idea what thickness gasket I ended up with when I finally got the backlash correct.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what was the cause (of that oil leak)?

Assuming it has been fixed and tested good, since you don't mention anything in your ad??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks