• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch PTO gaskets

Lorax

Howdy do! I've started the winch installation on a w/ow Deuce, and have read the recommendations of installing the PTO before mounting the winch. And have read where multiple PTO gaskets may be required to get the right backlash on the PTO. Anyone know where extra gaskets are available?

Also, one of the cap screws holding the top plate has rounded off on the winch. I'm worried about cranking down on the cap screw too hard and breaking it off. Any recommendations?

DanMartin

PM Me...I have real sets of gaskets from DANA here and will sell you a set cheap. Kit comes with two thicknesses of gaskets, instructions, and a bunch of warning stickers.

$10.00 + S&H. I have 5 of these kits.

JDToumanian

I'm rebuilding my PTO, and I need not only the gasket(s) to mount it on the trans but also the 3 other gaskets - front, rear and side cover. I'll call Memphis if I have to, but are there any other, less expensive sources? Also I want the 3 seals and 2 boots but I do not want Chinese/Korean junk. Anyone have a source for quality American made parts?

.....Old site is down right now so there is no parts cross ref.....

Jon

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also I want the 3 seals and 2 boots but I do not want Chinese/Korean junk. Anyone have a source for quality American made parts?

Jon
Guess we all want exactly that........:)

I can give you the part#s and specs for the seals if that helps. You will find them in all popular brands but..... how to know where they really come from?

And YES please, a GOOD source, at least for the little rubber boots![thumbzup]

G.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nappa has them. I feel you should do the clay trick to get the depth right. Trying to feel the lash working through the pto is not my cup of tea.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
George at White Owl told me the thick (gray) gasket he sells works in about 90% of PTO installations. I used one and the backlash was perfect. Good luck.

Csm Davis

Guys you should look in the phone book and find a local driveline shop they will be able to mount your pto properly or sell you the gaskets to do the job right. I have seen many pto's and transmission' s messed up by not getting the lash right.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I recall correctly, my PTO took five or six gaskets to get it right. These gaskets come in different thicknesses, so the number of gaskets that works for one person is likely not to work for someone else. All of the PTO gaskets are standard shape and are available very inexpensively at truck parts houses and shops. If you don't know how to measure the clearance yourself, get help from someone that does. You can very easily cause damage if it is not set properly and/or make your transmission hard to shift.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always check backlash by feel on the output shaft. You have to first see how much slack the pto has in it's own gears and take that into account.

It is very hard (if not impossible) to check the backlash by the TM (with a dail indicator) with the trans in the truck.