• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loading / Unloading a small vehicle from a deuce...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know there was a thread recently about unloading a small vehicle like a jeep from the back end of the deuce. A few chimed in, but I was wondering if the few who did (Stretch, et al) could post close up pics of the ramps that have fabricated for this purpose. I have the jeep, planning on bringing it to several shows in the back of the deuce, but noone seems to market ready-made ramps for a bed 4.5 feet off the ground to handle the weight of a small vehicle. At least none that are affordable, to me....

Thanks for the help guys. Just want to know how to make a suitable ramp for my purpose.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

El_Guapo

RE: Re: Loading / Unloading a small vehicle from a deuce...

You could put the jeep in neutral, rev up the deuce and pop the clutch. If you're fast the jeep will land on all four wheels. Like the table cloth trick. rofl rofl

emr

I have used the roll back wrecker a few times in the past.many may not know they can raise and lower the back while flat by using the rear wheel dolly things, works really well to a deuce height, BUT I went to the trailer place i use and had a set of aluminum ramps made to these specs, 11ft4inchs,total length, 16 inchs wide, and a 1800 lb capacity each, then when they came I had them weld a flat plate of aluminum 12inchs by 16inchs wide, on the 4 inch toungue that comes from the factory so they are now 12 ft 2 or close the total inside length of the deuce, THAT way when I am pulling out I have a full wheel on the plate when starting to decend and am not pushing the little edge off the truck, I use it mostly for the Mule but made it strong enough for the M 38.I use 2 straps hook to the ramp 1/3 way down under the tail gate to the rear shackles, works real well, I use 2 for a safety thing one gets old and breaks there is a back up, My life is worth it. they slide in on each other under the mule or jeep. I am to dumb to post pics but am going to learn soon, they are very very sweet, trailer rama in Netcong NJ< the owners are super guys, ...Randy

Stan

Stretch's ramps (which I have used) are frame rails from a school bus. They are 12' long and just wide enough for the tires on my m-38. Have been very stable when I've used them.

Armada

Maybe Rizzo will chime in. He's got a nice set of ramps that he uses for loading up to 5 ton trucks. I don't remember the company that makes them but seems like they were out of Florida.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i made some out of 2x12s. i doubled them up and bolted them together and ran a rib of angle iron down the bottom of each with an angle iron lip to fall into the slot where the gate and bed meet when the gate is down. i wouldnt reccommend these though. under a 2700 lb samurai contraption they made some funny noises. also i wouldnt reccomend putting weight on the tail gate. i had my hooks straiten out when weight was on the gate and it flew down violently

LanceRobson

We used to put M151s into deuces and 5Ts by backing into a roadside ditch driving the M151 in on a couple sticks of pierced steel runway planking laid with the lugs up.

The quarter ton got tied down and the planks got slid under it.

Anybody got a couple pieces of pierced steel plank (PSP)?

Lance

dc3coyote

Easiest way would be using a hill on the road side like Freighttrain, and Wrecker. Or how about using two ramps from a Uhaul.
Those things can take some weight.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found some ramps I like at Discount Ramps and it seems like that might be a better way to go than a trailer for a skid steer or mini excavator. Question, how do you think the deuce will handle a skid steer/mini excavator in the bed? Too top heavy?

kinetichotshot

My ramps are 8' long (36" high trailer deck) and made from 'C' channel and angle iron. Sometimes I wish I had a longer set so that loading/unloading of low ground clearance vehicles would be a little easier, but the ones I have are heavy enough!
As far as UHaul ramps are concerned, I would not trust those with a vehicle of any sort! When I was working for a moving company years ago we had a few of those give out on us!
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks