• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head Gasket Leak

M82A1710M

Oil is ozing out the front of the engine between the head and the block and I realize I need to change out the head gasket, however, it isn't a torrent of fluid. My question - would it be safe to drive about 300 highway miles before changing it out? I have a trip coming up this weekend and want to bring the truck.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as you anr't loosing compression, or mixing oil into the water or water into the oil you should be ok.
Mine leaks between the head and block also. But it doesen't loose enough oil between changes to worry about.

Gatnom

I agree with Ken, although I can't guarantee anything. Mine seeps a little right at the front. Some say it is from running high rpm's, but it is pretty rare form mine to see more than 23/2400. It bubbles a little even at an idle. I've got a headbolt wrench on the way and will try a re-torque. If that does not stop it, I'm not going to worry too much. It has run that way a long time. Dave

Westech

CPL
I drove mine with "seaping" head gaskets over 700 miles to the floor all wound out with out a hick up. If its not running rough, smoking, knocking, go for it. p.s. after I rebuilt the top half of my ltd-465 ( new gaskets, heads shaved, reground valves, ect..) it leaked soon after. It runs 100% great, starts like a gas motor, just is super and it leaks. From what I saw at Fort Mccoy last month almost every deuce leaks something some where and thats how it is.

outlaw

mine has been leaking for 10.000 miles
it stared when i drove it to fort Mccoy
its not bad 2 gal in 10.000

Dieselsmoke

buddy of mine has been running his puking for the past five years with no issues yet. But then he's pretty easy on it.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is what PS Magazine has to say about it. It's normal, I guess. My engine doesn't seem to be hurt by it, close to 6,000 miles since December and most on the highway with 2,400-2,500 rpm for hours on end.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are the odds of it going from seeping to squirting? Thanks.
Hey...it is 30 plus years old. Anything can happen.

I am wondering re head bolt torque, too. Is it ok to set the wrench to the prescribed torque value and re-torque (tighten down) the head bolts?

Mine is seeping from the front as well; darn fan blows it backwards and upwards, oiling up the inside of the hood.

It only seeps at high rpm, under load. Practically nothing at higher rpm when testing with the hood open.

I know it is a defect, but I am somewhat reluctant to go through the whole head teardown process, just for that bit of oil.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
normal?? only in the sense that they all do it. certainly not right, and i doubt a retorque will do anything at all. the issue is the very old technology head gaskets. when replaced and done correctly, with the new gaskets, you will just be amazed at how dry it stays.

tom

bassetdeuce

I drove mine with "seaping" head gaskets over 700 miles to the floor all wound out with out a hick up. If its not running rough, smoking, knocking, go for it. p.s. after I rebuilt the top half of my ltd-465 ( new gaskets, heads shaved, reground valves, ect..) it leaked soon after. It runs 100% great, starts like a gas motor, just is super and it leaks. From what I saw at Fort Mccoy last month almost every deuce leaks something some where and thats how it is.
I must agree with this. This is what I've noticed as well.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i would like to know what kind of gaskets you used, and how they were installed. the old style gaskets had to be coated in certain areas with permatex or they would leak, i have never seen the mil say how to coat them. the civ engines were done this way. all things considered, new style gaskets are the only way to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks