• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vehicles sold as scrap. No titles?

1310monster

I found out why GL is wanting me to pay for my truck I bought at Ft. Knox last week long before the EUC. They sent me an email saying it was sold as scrap and does not fall under the same terms as other trucks. I guess that means I don't get a title but I would probably find another route to get that any way since I don't want to wait a long time. It was sold no mutilation required so I guess I'm still ok. Just a newbie mistake I guess. Anybody else ever made this mistake?

Rocky
Kentucky

poppop

Here in Ga you don't have to have a title on older vehicles to get a tag. I just had my Duece Vin verified by a city policeman this morning. He handed me the form and said "here, go get your tag". I do plan to get the 97 and title just in case it is sold sometime down the road.

Re: RE: Vehicles sold as scrap. No titles?

poppop said:
Here in Ga you don't have to have a title on older vehicles to get a tag. I just had my Duece Vin verified by a city policeman this morning. He handed me the form and said "here, go get your tag". I do plan to get the 97 and title just in case it is sold sometime down the road.
:ditto: same here in alabama

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The thing that REALLY matters is what YOUR state's DMV laws say.......

In TX, ex-military trucks dont need plates, and you can use your bumper #'s as "plates" However, that doesnt do diddly squat for me here in NY......

Bottom line, check YOUR states laws....

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: title

I know Ga doesn't require a title but if I ended up with such a vehicle, wouldn't acquiring a title be good so that I could sell it to people in states that require a title?

Wish all the states could agree on a system :roll:

Crash_AF

The title thing is kind of weird... if the state it is registered in does not require a title and you take it to a state that does require a title, the bill of sale and registration serve as your title to turn in for your state's title (at least, that is my understanding of the system).

Later,
Joe

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

What was the event number of the sale. Any sales in the 6000 number are scrap sales

Jones

California DMV folks are happiest when you bury them in an avalanche of forms. Gotta have front and rear plates and they have to be current. The only way I know of using my bumper numbers is if I got a set of personalized plates with that number/letter combination on them. I was told; 'you can run military markings but have to have the civilian plates displayed'. However, the interpretation of 'displayed' seems to differ from clerk to clerk and LEO to LEO. For the in-the-field final say, I usually go with the guy who carries his ticket book in a fast-draw holster.

Personally, I'm not bothered by a scrap title. I know it can hurt the value of something newer like a Lexus or Mercedes; but most of my rigs are keepers and if I drive 'em 'til the wheels fall off, I don't care.
If I'm selling one, the buyer usually has personal knowledge of that particular truck and is most interested in how it runs and has been maintained, and what additional "goodies" go with the deal.
I'm most insistant that a truck I'm buying comes with a bill of sale and a way to get ahold of the seller afterwards. No "meet me in the Wal-Mart parking lot, and only bring cash" deals please.

Jones

Here we have 'salvage' titles (there's a box on the face of our Certificates of Title that's usually empty; resurrected vehicles have the word 'salvage' printed into this box). That just means that the vehicle has been processed through a wrecking yard or salvage company at some point in time. Could have been a theft recovery by an insurance company, wrecked (totaled as per an insurance adjuster's estimate) or scrapped by applying for a 'junk slip'. These vehicles can be rebuilt and as long as they'll pass a brake & light test station's requirements, meet smog and have the VIN number verified, they can be re-registered and put back on the road. The salvage title lets buyers know they're not getting a pristine, never been wrecked vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks