• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winching and rigging (BFR 5 Trees 0)

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I pulled down 4 trees in my parents’ yard this past weekend, which gave me an excuse to use the winch a little and practice rigging for different situations. On most of the pulls I used a double line with a doubled 1/2" sling for my attachment to the trees (generally 12' or so off the ground). After pulling down the tree we rigged the sling through the root ball and pulled out the stumps. Twice during the day I had the winch unspooled until there were only 4 or 5 wraps left. I broke a shear pin when I got lazy an attempted to pull out one of the stumps w/ a single line.
1 poplar 70' tall maybe 14" in diameter (at the base)
1 poplar 90' tall maybe 18" in diameter (at the base)
1 red oak 40' & 14"
1 red oak 80' & 18" (was leaning at 45 degrees to begin with)

I only had to use two snatch blocks once (when I had to do a 90 degree pull w/a double line)

I also used the deuce to guide down a white oak in my sister's yard. It was well over 100' tall and was 30" or so in diameter. We cut it and I pulled while my dad made the back cut to make it fall in the desired direction (it was dead/dying & could have hit my parents’ house, my sister's house, and my brother's house)

Also, one of the trees had a flying squirrel nest in it (didn't know until we had it on the ground) one of which was a pure white albino :shock:

Here are the totals…

90 miles driven
Approximately 1.5 hours idling
10 gallons of diesel
5 trees down
1 shear pin
1 albino flying squirrel seen

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks