• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch driveshaft speed

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i have a spare deuce winch. i recently bought a gooseneck trailer and i would like to put the deuce winch on it. problem is my trailer doesnt have a multifuel and a spicer 3035 with pto to run my winch :lol: at work i have a hydraulic head thats 12vDC that i can have. i want to couple a hydraulic motor to my deuce winch for the trailer but i need to know how many rpm the winch shaft spins. i know it can be variable speed, but whats the minimum required to operate the winch to its potential. it would be much easier to just put an electric winch on it but im maiking the ramps hydraulic also so why not the winch LOL

DanMartin

I think this is basically how the A3 winches work...same winch, but with a hyrdo motor on it instead of the PTO (powered off of the engine of course).

Maybe some research there would point you in the right direction...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the 3053 tranny and the engine @ 1000rpm the winch drive shaft (viewed from front) turns:

CW, at 650rpm in LOW

CW, at 1463rpm in HIGH

CCW, at 975rpm in REVERSE

Maybe this helps as reference.

Gerhard

bottleworks

As long as the required input torque is available, the winch will still pull the same amount at a lower D/S RPM. It will just take more time to pull. - IE line speed.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It wouldn't be too hard to mount a chain and sprockets between the winch and hyd. motor for more speed or power ( depending on witch you need).

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, look at this scheme: without counting losses from brake drag and friction, (theoretically) to achieve a force of 10000 pound and with 4 to 5 layers of cable on the drum (estimated r=4") we needed about 3300ft/pound of torque directly at the drum! :shock:
Now the worm gear reduction ratio of our Garwoods is 23:1, so that would make 145+ ft/lb at the driveshaft., which still sounds like a lot...!
But I doubt you would ever need that much on that trailer...?!:roll:

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

army70deuce

Thanks for the great info gentlemen, this will help with my switching from PTO to Hydraulic powered winch on my M35A2, I've been told the torque needs to be around 1,000 in/lbs

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1,000 inch pounds sounds quite low. did they mean foot pounds?
I used a winch on a machinery hauling shop truck that was similar to the deuce winches that had a hydraulic motor, specifications unknown, driven by the same PTO pump that ran the tilt bed. The motor had a small sprocket on it, probably about 16 teeth while the winch had about a 40 tooth sprocket on it. It would drag the truck backwards.
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks