• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tools

JR

I am assembling a tool kit to keep in my deuce, what would you put in it?

I am looking for all the common items and not necessarily a whole set, for example if I was working on my F250 most common sizes would be 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 13/16 and 7/8, breaker bar and extension for wheels, strap wrench, etc. etc.

3/4" drive socket set
12 ton bottle jack
some blocks of wood,
BFH,
set of standard wrenchs,
extra primary fuel filters,
some pressure cuplings,
sold some extra fluids would also be a good thing.

i know theres more to the list others will chime in

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Cell phone and a credit card! First to call for a member here to help, second for if nobody is available.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do yourself a favor, replace the fuel return lines if they look bad. Much easier to do it in the driveway that on the side of the road. I used DOT air line and new bushings/inserts, and no worries about them leaking..

Total cost $30.. Peace of mind.. Priceless...

Also, if you look in your TM, it gives a good breakdown of what BII and AAI tools should be carried. I added a ton more stuff to the list. But without the basic BII, you cant even change a tire....

in addition to that mentioned before:
a gladhand adaptor, and enough air pressure line to walk around the vehicle with it, and a minimal number of air tools.
I also have two sets 45 ft "commando" rope with me, and a roll of electrical wire; also good to take along are a few cans of brake cleaner and some rags and surgical rubber gloves. I also added a new wheel brake cylinder in case one locks up. Ahh, and a contemporary (1966) copy of the Playboy magazine. And... and.. and...

Mark

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
wow thats a lot of very good info. I will add . I had a 20 ton bottle jack but it was too short even with blocks. I was on the side of I-40 on the way home from picking up my deuce, had a flat. Had to drive 10 miles and buy one. I also have 6 2X12s 2ft long for blocks or just drive the rear up on and that will lift the rear to change a rear tire . A torque multiplier would be nice.

DanMartin

Don't forget a large-ish adjustable wrench...you'll need that to get the spare off the hanger (unless you use the BUDD socket to losen the cap bolts, but you will need a ratchet or breaker bar to get in there as there isn't enough clearance for the torque multiplier or impact wrench even IMO).

Also good sized pry-bar (aka: Precision Adjustment Tool) for gentle persuasion if the BFH won't work.

I would also add a few gallons of water/coolant, a few gallons of engine oil, some extra hose clamps and hose repair tape (or just a few extra hoses of various lengths and sizes). I also keep an old (but still usable) belt around just in case you throw one (just wind it up and stick it in a plastic bag and tuck it into the tool box).

devilman96

Hands down.... Carry an assortment of flareless union fittings 1/4 through 1/2... Those puppies will fix most of the above mentioned fuel and tubing issues as well as any brake line, air line, etc, etc, etc. Being able to change a leaking line on the side of the road is great... Being able to slap a union on a broken, leaking or cracked line in under 5 mins to get down the road is priceless!!! I carry a minimum of 3 of each size...

rmgill

I have a good Digital Multi Meter, wire connectors (crimp on and butt connectors), spare wire, dielectric grease, and bulbs.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got all the bushings and inserts for the fuel return lines at Lowes in the plumbing section..

What ever you do, DONT mess up or drop on of the return line fittings.. They ARENT normal fittings..

ALSO... Next time you go work on the truck in the driveway.... Go drop your spare tire and get it off the "crane gizmo" that secures the tire to the truck.. When you put the tire back on the crane, put some antiseze on the lug nut threads that secure the tire to the crane... Much easier to do at home than on the side of the road.. You'll also figure out what tools you need to drop the spare tire...

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My deuce came with a tool layout diagram, it looks like a standard mechanics tool set, I will see if I can get a decent photo of it. Mine came with a decent set but not any where near what is on the the layout sheet.
James G.

CliffW

rumplecat said:
My deuce came with a tool layout diagram, it looks like a standard mechanics tool set, I will see if I can get a decent photo of it. Mine came with a decent set but not any where near what is on the the layout sheet.
James G.
I would like to see that. Maybe you can scan it.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tool layout is too large to scan, it folds out to be pretty large, and really stinks, it's printed on some kind of oil cloth.
James G.

m816

Sorry,but if you guys have to carry all that stuff just to drive the deuce down the road,either there is a lot of parinoia going on or, someone is neglecting the PM in their own shops. Some tie wire,hunderd mile per hour tape and your tire tools should get you by unles you're going on a cross country trip then there should be a well stocked wrecker in that convoy. my two cents. Vinny

CCATLETT1984

m816, you can do all the pm in the books and still have a 30+ year old truck break down on the road. A lot of us drive our trucks long distances to the rally's. The m35a2 i purchased from Westech a few weeks ago drove the 1100miles each way to and from aberdeen MD last year for the rally. Thats a long haul in any vehicle, let alone one that you can not get parts for at any auto store. Its better to have the tools and not need them, then face a $300 tow bill because you broke down on the freeway and they force you to get it towed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks