• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Valve Cover Gasket Leaking...Again

renovate7

My front valve cover gasket was leaking on the rear passenger side enough to have oil weeping down the side of the engine. I pulled the cover, cleaned the gasket which was in excellent shape, and reinstalled it using a little Permatex. It leaked again so i pulled it and installed a new gasket using a little Permatex. It's leaking again even worse. I tightened the bolts pretty tight. I also noticed the bolts go into the oil passage ways. Is there any special way to install this other than using a lot of Permatex?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The Deuce valve covers are only marginally better than a small block Chevy valve covers-which means they will warp very easily. I don't remember what the TM calls for, but I know it was in inch-lbs........

Pull it off, check it with a straightedge........

renovate7

I have pulled the cover...again...and found the problem. There is a thin metal strip that is spot welded to the inside of the cover. This strip plus the cover make a "V" or groove that the gasket seals against. On this cover on the leaky end the two ends of the strip aren't fastened to the cover, no sign of a spot weld. There is also a spot on one side where the strip is pushed away from the cover. If this strip isn't tight to the cover then when you tighten ( or over tighten) the bolts it pushes the gasket to the inside so it is no longer between the valve cover and head. I cleaned it up last night, sanded the metal and JB welded it. I found this morning the JB didn't stick for some reasen so I am considering some very small stainless bolts with lock nuts and locktight.

devilman96

Clean the snot out of it, then use 3M weather stripping adheasive to attach the gasket to the VC and let it dry 24 hours. Reinstall it with about 8lbs of tq IE one finger on the end of the ratchet!!!!! If it doesnt hold get another cover.

Do not ever use JB weld on the inside of an engine (or anything else for that matter lol)... It will only end up in the oil system no matter how much prep work you do!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks