• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identify turbo

Westech

CPL
its a good chance its a whistler turbo. the D turbo is a lot larger and would be ezer to pick out. From the pics you really cant tell for sure, but good chance is the one you want.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: C Turbo

That's the contract #, doesn't tell you what turbo it has. Only way to know is a pic of the turbo itself.

You can have a LDT-465-1c, or a LDT-465-1d. Small chance it could be the 427 motor, those aren't common. The d or c is only to tell what model the motor is, will not tell you what turbo it is. D motor is newer motor, but either is good.

I have a D motor with a C turbo, and a C motor with a C turbo, and a D motor with D turbo. So any motor can have a C or D turbo.

chicklin

RE: C Turbo

Well, let's say it is the C "whistler" turbo. How hard is it to find a D turbo? How much will it be? How hard is it to swap out? Thanks!

cleb

Compressor fin design AFAIK. If you look at the turbo identification thread, the C has quite a few more fins on the exhaust side IIRC. Also, with a contract date of 1987, I'm guessing that engine came with a D. The C's were usually on older engines. But it could have been swapped around.

SMOKEWAGON66

Ok so i looked in this thread to see if i could ID my turbo...the links didnt quite help so heres a couple pics of my turbo...

...and what is this solenoid for? it was just bolted to the side of the motor but not hooked up to anything.

When the truck runs, it does kind of whistle, but not like some that ive heard before. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a "C" turbo.

The other thing is the starter relay. Obviously your has been "bypassed".

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There will be extra load on your starter button without it. I would not be worried about it, without the relay.

Katahdin

Yep, there's a few of us who received a truck from the government without a relay. Installing one is not on my high priority list but I keep some wire and a heavier duty switch on hand just in case something burns out.