• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upgrading a CUCV's max towing capacity?

David amir

Im not sure what is wrong with that chick mercunimog404 ,but i work at the louisville truck plant that produces f-250and bigger trucks.they are junk.they are designed to last the warranty period.purchase price is astronomical and repairs are just as bad.you mentioned model t's.ever heard of a happy medium.trucks like the cucv are great,quality wise and even back to the 40's.is a 1915 truck tougher than a new f350?no.but is a truck like a cucv?absolutely

cucvrus

Im not sure what is wrong with that chick mercunimog404 ,but i work at the louisville truck plant that produces f-250and bigger trucks.they are junk.they are designed to last the warranty period.purchase price is astronomical and repairs are just as bad.you mentioned model t's.ever heard of a happy medium.trucks like the cucv are great,quality wise and even back to the 40's.is a 1915 truck tougher than a new f350?no.but is a truck like a cucv?absolutely
? What did I just read? Fords are junk and CUCV's are the only trucks? Model T's are good? and 1915 trucks are just like CUCV's?

In comparison I admit a CUCV is a good truck. Is it the best. If that is what you have it is the best. But that is an opinion. Like it or not many new trucks are built and are more comfortable and able to handle more weight longer then the CUCV. I see few CUCV's with 300K. I see lots of 5 year old trucks pushing the 250K mark and still on the road doing the job. I think someone had a bad day at Ford light vehicle assembly. I would never compare a CUCV to a Ford to begin with. Have a great day and lighten up. This is an old thread and was never very popular to begin with. The CUCV is just what it is nothing better then any other vehicle of the same vintage.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the reason they are " Junk " is more of a attitude problem with some of the people that build them. Most of the major road contractors in this area are F450's and F550's due to low maintenance costs over the crap Government Motors is rolling out of a plant 40 miles south of here.

David amir

All i can tell you is the current trucks are sitting on lots all over louisville so that "fixes"can be made before delivery.and the variety and amount of problems is very unusual.do i say a cucv is better?i say a cucv was worth what it cost when new and these trucks are definitely not.ford has had 20 different versions of the powerjoke,because they cant get it right.the 7.3 was not perfect but it was better.there are plenty of ford vehicles i like,this truck is junk,it is that simple.i can understand people being butthurt by negative truths after spending 70,000 plus bank interest on a turd.but the fact remains.also i dont know anything first hand about chevy or dodge current offerings.others can speak to that

David amir

Also the reason they are junk has little or nothing to do with the people that build them.it is caused by the people who run the company,there is no profit in building a truck that will last,apparently

oshacraig

I'll probably be called a liar on this but I pulled a trailer Alaska to Seattle Washington down the Alcan. I pulled a 25-foot V noses enclosed trailer with 8226 lbs (scaled in Canada in Whitehorse) with a m1009 spring helpers in the back a high Performance Radiator from Silla, high flow water pump from Peninsular Diesel. A transmission cooler all new synthetic fluids in everything. A 160 thermostat, had to stop and drill two 3/8 holes in the stat. Installed temp guage. Had to watch temp steep grades some at 5mph in low range 1st gear and stop to cool down. Could not drive over 55 on Flat ground unless I wanted to die. Going down hill was equally a challenge I also installed new injectors and a Fluid Damper.Long trip. Six months later drove to Texas, mapped out a route with fewest hills as possible. Took 11 days. I drove that M1009 for 3 more years no blow by or issues. Then some ass wipe hit me totalled out my Blazer killed another guy and obliterated his Ford Escape, no insurance. My truck was 90% completely restored.Three years later I found a 1008 now that I am restoring A/C 9 yards be done soon. Love the 6.2 treat it right last a good while. Dream of an Optimiser Engine, oh I did get a deal on a gear vendor so I don't push therods through the block. Semper Fi

Last edited:

blitzfire

I'll probably be called a liar on this but I pulled a trailer Alaska to Seattle Washington down the Alcan. I pulled a 25-foot V noses enclosed trailer with 8226 lbs (scaled in Canada in Whitehorse) with a m1009 spring helpers in the back a high Performance Radiator from Silla, high flow water pump from Peninsular Diesel. A transmission cooler all new synthetic fluids in everything. A 160 thermostat, had to stop and drill two 3/8 holes in the stat. Installed temp guage. Had to watch temp steep grades some at 5mph in low range 1st gear and stop to cool down. Could not drive over 55 on Flat ground unless I wanted to die. Going down hill was equally a challenge I also installed new injectors and a Fluid Damper.Long trip. Six months later drove to Texas, mapped out a route with fewest hills as possible. Took 11 days. I drove that M1009 for 3 more years no blow by or issues. Then some ass wipe hit me totalled out my Blazer killed another guy and obliterated his Ford Escape, no insurance. My truck was 90% completely restored.Three years later I found a 1008 now that I am restoring A/C 9 yards be done soon. Love the 6.2 treat it right last a good while. Dream of an Optimiser Engine, oh I did get a deal on a gear vendor so I don't push therods through the block. Semper Fi

Thank you for this. It helps. Traveling from Kentucky back home to Alaska in a few months. Trying to get my m1009 ready for the trek. I have a 24 ft enclosed v trailer myself. Anything else you can think of please let me know.

oshacraig

Thank you for this. It helps. Traveling from Kentucky back home to Alaska in a few months. Trying to get my m1009 ready for the trek. I have a 24 ft enclosed v trailer myself. Anything else you can think of please let me know.
Take it easy and watch those temps, 832-766-4145

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks