• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

power steering conversion M886

t120r

Bought a M886 a couple years ago and am about ready to put a 325HP 318 in and was thinking about converting to power steering. Anyone do this? I have looked at junk yard canidates like the ramcharger and other w200 from the early to mid 80's.

Any comments would be welcome. This place around here called crazy rays has the power steering box, drag link, hoses , pump and steering shaft off a 84 for around $200. good deal I think but really do not want any hassles'

T120R
Maryland

Attachments

SoylentGreen

I'm glad you asked about a conversion as I am considering one as well. I'll be watching to see what responses you get. I'm also curious about your engine. Did you have it built or is it a crate engine? My engine is starting to go bad, heavy knocking under load, cutting out, weak on power.

Elwenil

Ahh, that was one of Eastern's trucks. The power steering conversion is pretty straight forward and $200 is probably an average price for the parts. You can do worse, but you can also do better. If it were my truck, I'd pass on the stock steering shaft and use a Borgeson shaft. They run a little over $200, but you will never have to replace the stock steering joint or put up with the slack and wandering again. I'd also consider replacing the seals in the steering box while you have it off the truck, it's cheap insurance. I'd also pass on the junk yard hoses. Just go buy them for the make and model of the truck the parts came off of.

http://ww2.borgeson.com/TRUCKS/DODGE.html#

tmbrwolf

I used a setup from a ramcharger of about the same year in my M882, bolted right up no problem, had to mate the rag joint from the ramcharger to the steering column of the M882, the box input shafts are different sizes. Make sure you get all the pieces / brackets for the pump mounting, and try to get it off a truck with a V-8.

McGuyver

Personally, I'd use a pump, steering gear, and pitman arm combo out of a `78 or earlier W100 or W200, then it will be correct for that year truck (the M880 series, `76-`78?). In about `79 or so, the direction of rotation of the output shaft changed and the mounting bracket and orientation of the steering gear changed too.

Anyway, I ended up getting a steering gear off a `77 W200, and a pump off of a `75 W100. Worked beautifully, bolted right on no trouble.

Don't forget the grounding strap that mounts across the rag joint. The horn on these trucks during these years grounded through the steering shaft, and without this strap, the horn won't sound.

I'll also second what Elwenil said, save yourself some trouble and replace at least the input shaft seal while you have it off the truck. It's relatively easy to do, and fixes a lot of leaky steering gear problems.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forgot to mention we also took the parts off a civilian D-150 '77 extended cab 4x4 and they also bolted right up. Both donor trucks had the 318 motor.
Regards Marti

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HA! You picked up the Eastern ambulance I was looking at a couple years back. Good save, it looked like it was in pretty good shape except for the windshield. And the price was right too, I think it was around $2K. Congrats on a fine ambulance!

DUMBnEASY

Yah, I've done it. There is a company is San Jose, CA called "StraightLine steering. They had an exact replacement for my manual steering box ($300). I didn't have to change a thing on top. Just unbolted the old one and stuck in the new one. I don't remember if I got the new pitman arm with the new steering box or not, but you'll need one.

The other problem, as I recall, was changing the fan pulley. It was a single and I had to go to a double to run the p/s pump which I got at a wrecking yard for $50 bucks. Oh, come to thiink of it, that's where I got the pulley too. :::silly me...please note my screen name!::::::

And one thing more. I'm a big guy and that 17" steeering wheel just didn't cut it. So I dropped to a fifteen inch wheel. Also, the W200 had special sttering wheels. Half tons will not fit as the spline is different. So if you want to change wheels make sure you take a look at your spline. You might want to take your old one with you.

I will tell you, though...I'll never drive another M886 with a manual steering box. I am SO-O-O spoiled.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks