• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing 2 m105a2 trailers?

reb87

I have to pick up 3 m105a2 trailers from fort riley and am wondering if anybody has tried towing a trailer with a trailer. I figured to take my m35a2 and put one in the cargo box and tow the other two. Is it feasable?
What is the dimensions of the inside of the 105a2 box? What is the distance between the wheel wells inside the box? Any advice appreciated, Thanks, Ross/nebraska

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Putting one in the cargo box would require a forklift or crane, and it would depend on what base you are picking up from whether or not you get any help from GL in loading or not. If you are considering towing a trailer behind a trailer, you need to mount a pintle hook on the back end of one, as as long as you don't take it too fast, or haul cargo in the beds of the trailers, you should be okay.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for the crappy pic but heres how the Gov't says to do it. This is from FM 55-65.
If your question was if one will fit in the bed of a deuce, yes it will!

Attachments

jimm1009

Does anyone have a digitized copy of FM 55-65?
It is too old for LOGSA and is not on the old S.S. site for TMs.
Thanks,
jimm1009

wehring

Tandem

I put a pintle on the back of one trailer and towed another. DO NOT TRY THIS. The second trailer was unstable.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

jimm1009

I did actually think about doing this but 300 miles is too far to do that on all-highway. For some strange reason my better judgement kicked in [thumbzup].

I'd do it in a second if it was out int the country and I only had to go 10 miles or so but as the cajuns say; "notme, no"!

Thanks for the thought though.
We can all use some guidance from time to time.

Sincerely,
jimm1009

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My reco...sell one of the trailers directly from the site so you can haul one back as Kenny has suggested. Or, make two trips...

stampy

Works great to load one and haul one. I did this with 2 lube trailers. One in the bed and one behind on the hook. We have a loading dock that we can remove the one that is on the truck from.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Stacking one on top of the other is not difficult if you have a FL driver that has some experience doing it. You need to have some heavy duty ratchet straps to hold them together. Having some short boards to stick in the stake pockets is a good idea too.
Keeps the top one from moving around.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
:ditto:Did the same thing out at Riley back when DRMO still did the sales. Used four 2X4's between the beds had the fork lift operator lift upper trailer by the safety chains and used 4 ratchet binders to hold it all together. Don't know if Gl will do it.

KsM715

My reco...sell one of the trailers directly from the site so you can haul one back as Kenny has suggested. Or, make two trips...

Did you notice this thread is 2 years old? I hope GL has cleared his EUC by now. :p

I think it was dug up to see if anyone had a copy of the Field Manual

If the GL lot has a loading dock back the truck up to the dock load one trailer into the bed, and tow the other. This is Walter (greengator) and I did for two trailers he bought up near Atlanta. If the trailer has a cover and bows take them off before you load it. If you don't you will be too tall.

Josh

i got M107s this way, one in the bed of the truck, the other in tow. When I got home, I just tied the 107 in the bed of the truck to a tree and drove out from underneath it. Didnt hurt the trailer a bit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks