• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

White smoke and noise

rd69599

Took my 67 m35 out for the first time. Got about 2 miles away from the house and the engine started making noise. Sounded like valves rattling. I turned around and headed for the house. Got about 1/2 mile and the truck dies. I tried to restart it. It first didnt want to crank but finally started. Got andther 1/2 mile started to die again it kept running but it wouldnt take any fuel. Finally it started taking fuel again and it sounded like something broke in the engine and all at once it ran like a scalded dog the noise stopped and ran like a new motor. I poured the coal to it and got to the house. Right in front of the house it started the noise again and wouldnt take any fuel. This whole time white smoke is a balling out of the exhaust. Could I have a blown head gasket?
Also when the engine is first started it sounds great till it warms up then it sounds like a valve or rod knocking? Any help will be Greatly appreciated

Westech

CPL
yeah a gasket is toast. Could be time for a new engine if the sounds come after it warms up a bit. what is your oil gauge saying? if it drops below 20 ish when warm that stating some sort of bearing problem.

Westech

CPL
thats not good ether, could be a plugged up oil passage. its time to dig deep in that engine. I would start by removing the heads and looking around. check the gaskets and go from there. is there any oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil?

rd69599

Nope coolant has no oil in it and no coolant in oil. I just changed all the fluids sunday so thats why it still looks clean. What came out looked good aswell. The only thing that bothered me when I first got this rig was moisture inside the valve pan. I took off the oil cap and saw water beads on the springs and rocker arms underneat the oil cap was a lot of grey residue associated with moisture. But keep in mind this truck has been kept in a garage and ran once a year for about 10 minuets since 1998. That could have been just condinsation.

Westech

CPL
well thats still not saying how coolant got in to the cylinders to make all that smoke and noise.... you could have a cracked head. ok.. first thing I would do at this point is look at the valves and adjust the lash.. that could be some or all of your noise. the rockers could be "clacking" till they warm up and expand. try setting the valve lash and give it a try.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should put mechincal gauge on the oil pressure, the electric ones can be flaky.
Mine runs 85 psi cold, 35-70 warm.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a few other items to check before going into the engine.
1. Check condition of air filter.
2. Make sure your blow by tube is clear.
3. Check for fuel air leaks.
4. Check fuel filters
5. Take a compression check.
Again my 2cents

rd69599

Thanks for the input. I just removed the valve covers there is some moisture inside. The front head looks like new money. The rear head has some excess residue on no 5 and 6 cylinder springs and arms. So my next step is to change head gaskets and check my valves. My TM9-2320-361-24-1 is telling me to try the gaskets if that dont work im up the creek without a motor. Any leads on a place to get some gaskets? And yes ive got work to do on the fuel system some of the lines are in bad shape.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks