• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VA DMV now rejecting GL's SF-97

dm22630

steelsoldiers said:
I got an email back from GL. The very nice lady said they will issue me a paper title. Apparently I am the first person in VA to have a problem. I have to mail the SF-97 to AZ and then it will take another 10 days to get the title done. Sigh... At least it will be all legal like and my gals at the DMV will like me again.
1. What did you say in your complaint email to them?

2. I have 14 vehicles that I need SF-97/titles to.....can I go directly to this woman & get a title vs SF-97??

Also........

If GL gets in trouble by VA or any other state for selling vehicles without a dealers license, then be prepared for them to ONLY sell vehicles as "scrap" & they will NOT be issuing any type of paperwork at all to buyers.

I would not throw rocks at a hornets nest if I were wanting to buy anything via GL....

HeadWizard

dm22630 said:
steelsoldiers said:
I got an email back from GL. The very nice lady said they will issue me a paper title. Apparently I am the first person in VA to have a problem. I have to mail the SF-97 to AZ and then it will take another 10 days to get the title done. Sigh... At least it will be all legal like and my gals at the DMV will like me again.
1. What did you say in your complaint email to them?

2. I have 14 vehicles that I need SF-97/titles to.....can I go directly to this woman & get a title vs SF-97??

Also........

If GL gets in trouble by VA or any other state for selling vehicles without a dealers license, then be prepared for them to ONLY sell vehicles as "scrap" & they will NOT be issuing any type of paperwork at all to buyers.

I would not throw rocks at a hornets nest if I were wanting to buy anything via GL....
Agreed that they might go to selling all scrap, but that would also reduce their income considerably. A little like cutting off your nose to spite your face for them. Don't think that will happen.

papercu

sf

Sorry if it will require GL to comply with the state laws, that's the price of doing business.
And just WHO do you think will end up paying for it??

Agreed that they might go to selling all scrap, but that would also reduce their income considerably.
Might for a regular business but G/L buy this for way little money, sells it, then pays expensives and gives the goverment a cut of whats left.
Selling all as scrap would be less expensive for them.
It could go like this.
Government takes it in, shoves it in a pile, G/L auction it, buyer load and it done. G/L wouldn't even need any personnel on site and nobody calling them about titles and such. Wayne

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PA Title Problems

Just got back from two different titling companies in PA. Have three trucks to title and three trailers. Was only trying to do the three trailers now. I have one M101 that I bought a few years ago to title (got the SF 97 from GL without requesting but no FL supplement) and two M105A2s (with SF 97s and FL supplements) to title. Couldn't do any of it. Even though I just did this with two trucks a few months ago. Now it requires inspection stations, photographs, and a big PITA.

Things, they are a changin...

Somemedic

RE: PA Title Problems

The girls at my local BMV are super cool and will actually say "we dont know" and go and find out from a supervisor. Ive advised them to call different branches when I heard that a particular branch was more knowledgable about a subject (ie not displayinig plates/using unit numbers for registration). I hope this stays the trend.
So Im going to pay sales tax to GL and then pay it again to the IN BMV? Didnt we have a tea party about this once before?

portert0224

GL has always issued me the SF97 and the reassigned FL title to me. I have never had a problem with VA DMV when I took both the SF 97 and the FL title into the DMV in Hampton. If I were you, I would ask GL if they would get you the FL title.

MILRET45

The root problem here is that the SF97 is most closely akin to the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) which accompanies a new vehicle in factory sales to dealers. Both documents are used to create the first title. The big difference is that the MSO has on document provision for reassignment from the dealer of record to the first retail or wholesale buyer.

GSA appears to be the only entity at present that can correctly generate an SF97 direct to the buyer (transferee) since you are buying direct from the government. In the case of GL the title of the vehicle/trailer passes from DRMO to GL and technically GL should apply for state title which in turn could be transferred to the auction purchaser. That obviously would involve GL having to pay taxes on the purchase/transfer from DRMO which ain't gonna happen.

As a work around they are shipping the SF97 with a reassignment form, a step which I doubt meets most state's legal titling requirements since the SF97 has no provision for buyer reassignment.

Aswayze

Just got my paperwork returned from the state of Kansas for the same reason. They will not accept reassigned paperwork on a Federal title as well.

I'll call and talk to GL tomorrow and figure out how to work around it. I am sure this is just one of those situations of everyone needing to get on the same page on how the paperwork should flow. I am not thinking this is some grand conspiracy being perpetrated but Oscar the Grouch and Big Bird to take all of our MVs. That is just part of the fun of showing up at the DMV with weird paperwork.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My re-assigned Florida titles came in the mail today. I went to the DMV and came home with fresh VA titles and a set of plates for my M1008. Phew, glad that's over with. I will be asking for a FL title from here on out.

HeadWizard

Yeah Chris!

I didn't forget the follow up with the DMV official. Spoke to him last Friday pm and he passed me to the correct person. We've played phone tag this week. We're trying to work it out where VA DMV will issue GL buyers titles with a copy of the auction listing and the bill of sale.

We'll see.

I've got a bunch to get done.

mhodges

glad you got it worked out chris- the smithfield dmv didn't even know what an SF-97 was and would not title my truck, had to go to newport news...

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are all that way, since only a very few got out semi-legally. It's called supply and demand. Depending on your source, there are between 600 and 3000 legal HMMWV's in the USA, in private hands. 10 times that many could be sold today and the prices would be reasonable again, at least for a while. But it ain't gonna happen! So, the prices are high - if you want to play, you got to pay!

Orionspath

DMV Blues.......continued

M105A2's that have been titled through Florida along with the Bill of Sale and Letter from GL, have presented no problems for me @ the DMV. Now when I went to title M101A2's without a FLA Title (GL says they do not title anything under XXXX amount of weight) I thought I was in for a battle. Wow, who would of bet that they already knew this information at my local DMV? I couln't believe it!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks