• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head gasket repair

baja_power

my deuce started running like sh!t, and we suspected a blown head gasket.
Tore into it yesterday AM and here is what we found....this is the rear head, cylinders 5&6:

baja_power

Pulling the heads was a chore....the intake and exhaust manifolds are a major PITA to try to remove; so we pulled both heads, intake, exhaust, turbo, etc as a unit. This mass weighs about 400 lbs.
I should have snapped a pic of the gantry crane we built to pull it.
It had to roll, span 8 1/2 feet to clear fenders, and needed a lifting point at least 10 AGL.
We got the heads off, deck cleaned, new gaskets on, and heads tripples torqued and called it quits for the night.
then we hadto reconnect the turbo to intake, intake plumbing, install the water manifolds from intake to heads, replace the injectors, adjust the valves, reinstall the intake manifold flame heater system, reinstall all the air lines that were in the way, reinstall the fan, radiator, and grill guard and some other misc. stuff .

baja_power

overall i would rate this project a 5 out of 10. not real hard.. just lots of tedious work. forgot to take the cam with us on the road test. but she runs great. [2]
Head gaskets run about $75 each for these things , but I found a complete NIB engine set (8 billion gaskets in set) for $140!!!!
[/2]
Again big thanks to Bomar 76 for all his help and quick thinking for our homemade gantry crane. ( wish i had snapped a pic before we tore it down :banghead: )

<!--
-->

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was a pretty quick repair there guys! Had you een planning on it and had the gaskets on hand? Good job guys!

bomar76

I don't think the depot maintainence could do better than we did!
I bought a COMPLELTE gasket set (all 8 billion gaskets) from Safran for only $140 + $10 shipping - it was a steal over buying just the head gaskets.
If it wouldn't have been 90 degrees and 100% humidity I would have taken step by step pics for a tutorial.
The deuce suddenly exibited severe problems.....extreme smoke, loss of power, and the most telling - backfiring. Sure signs of ablown gasket.

red devils dude

yeh I started to do the same thing then a sleeve was cracked so orderd new sleeve and piston set then my block was cracked
so in go's new engine(when I get it, do we have any members in PA who might be able to help) but thoes heads are a paine
to get off I herd its a bed a idea to pull heads with manifolds some thing about they dont set back on right?
hey guys I NEED TO KNOW WHAT COLOR THAT ENGINE IS thats the color I have been looking for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks