• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce wheel bearings...or lack of!

randyscycle

Finally got around to pulling the deuce brakes down to do all the wheel cylinders, fluid, hoses and front boots, when on both front wheels I found this. Surprisingly it didn't stop too bad. Not great, but not too bad considering the shoes hadn't touched the front drums in a loooooong time. :shock:

Glad I didn't just title it and head out on the road as is.

All new seals and bearings on the way, so we can go as well as stop.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never seen a wheel bearing in that bad of shape that hasn't come apart. Did the wheel spin freely before you broke it down?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Makes me wonder if they ran out of grease and improvised using cheese like we used to when the stagecoach bearings would overheat and sieze up.

Barrman

Glad you found that at home instead of on the road Randy. Put one piece boots on and you won't mess with anything in there for a while.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is scary looking. Makes me nervous and wanting to tear down my wheels as well and take a look. Be glad you caught it when you did!

randyscycle

I never really drove the truck more than a mile or two up the road, simply because I expected to find a few things that needed attention before I struck out on any kind of drive. Most everything has been on the property at slow speeds. With the whistler, I probably wouldn't have heard it until it fell off :lol:

The wheel did spin fairly free, when I jacked it up, but had some lateral play. No surprise there looking at it..

Its getting ALL new bearings, seals: inner and outer on the rear, and a complete teardown to install new one-piece boots. The boot on that wheel wasn't torn, but its really soft and mushy feeling, and I suspect since there was no gasket on the axle flange, and the inner bearing seal was really stiff and old, that the water found its way in there too.

The spindle seems to just be surface rust and not pitting or anything I'd be worried about. It actually cleaned up really well in there with just a good shot of Super Clean and a hose.

So as soon as the UPS driver shows up with my seals and boots, I can start going back together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks