• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 gear lube/transmission

Jeepsinker

But for how long? How much have you ran it that way? These transmissions were barely heavy duty enough to stay in one piece in our trucks from the beginning, I certainly have some reservations about using an even lighter oil in an already stressed transmission. I'm sure it works fine for those of you who are running motor oil in the trans, but it certainly doesn't have the film strength that gear oil has, and doesn't stand shear loads without breakdown of the film strength either.

Jeepsinker

Because lubrication technology has vastly improved since 1949, and parts are getting more scarce for these by the day. The newer lube order calls for 80/90 anyway.

welldigger

But for how long? How much have you ran it that way? These transmissions were barely heavy duty enough to stay in one piece in our trucks from the beginning, I certainly have some reservations about using an even lighter oil in an already stressed transmission. I'm sure it works fine for those of you who are running motor oil in the trans, but it certainly doesn't have the film strength that gear oil has, and doesn't stand shear loads without breakdown of the film strength either.
You do realize that 40 wt motor oil and 80w-90 gear oil are almost the exact same viscosity right?

stumps

The biggest issue causing transmission failure in the M35 appears to be due to lubrication not getting into the sleeve bearings on a couple of the idler gears. The hypoid gear lube's additives do nothing to improve that situation, and a lot to make it worse. It should be pretty clear from the ubiquitous use of 85W90 in the Army's LO's that the deuce's LO specified 85W90 in an attempt to make "one size fits all" specification. They were more interested in improving logistics of supply than they were in using the best possible lubricant for these old trucks.. The manufacturer of the gear boxes continued to recommend SAE50 all the way to the end of life for that gearbox. A few others have found that going down to SAE30 is even better. I like SAE40.

The difference between SAE40 and 85W90 isn't simply one of shifting feeling a little lighter, it is more that the synchronizers spin the gear clusters up more quickly, and stop blocking your entry into a gear.... you don't have to muscle them into gear like you do with the 85W90.

The nice thing about owning these trucks is you can go your own way.

-Chuck

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i was told that my high speed whin could be inproved on my duece by swapping to 40wt non detergent oil.. im all ears with this discussion

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PLease just answer the guys question with the facts.

Debate oils in your own threads.

I doubt they have TSC in the UK.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
wanted to post a new thread do'nt seem able to anyway time for a service on my m35 what oils etc oh has winch i'm in europe so oil etc is sae numbers
I see no reason why you can't post a new thread, your account is good.

Jeepsinker

You do realize that 40 wt motor oil and 80w-90 gear oil are almost the exact same viscosity right?
Yes I realize that, just as was stated before I could get back here, there is a vastly different additive package. Like was mentioned, run what you want. I just prefer the gear oil, and I run Lucas in mine on top of that, which may or may not be the only reason mine hasn't had any bearing or friction surface issues. I've been known to drive my truck for up around 20 hours straight with only short stops for fuel so I opt for the heavier lubrication.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
My truck gets

multi-fuel fuel thru 3 micron (abs) filter
engine lube oil - Rotella T 15W40
transmission + transfer cases - non-detergent 40W
grease, everywhere it gets grease - GAA
differentials - Valvoline VV829
brakes - Dot 5
cornhead grease for the winch see video
These selections did solve some problems.

...........and the pictures for the General

axle transmission IMG_0940.jpgDeuce differentials oil B 07262013.jpgdeuce no detergent 40W.jpgGAA only thing in my truck IMG_0441.jpgViscosity Chart.jpg

cornhead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEwk_sYP6A8

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks