• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine stand drawings for Deuce?

Mark3395

I've got a deuce engine that knocks, and another that has a thrown rod. I suspect that between the two I've got the makings for a good engine, even if I need to throw in some new bearings.

I need a sturdy engine stand that will support the engine, and especially in various positions. Maybe a rotisserie style.

Does anybody have a drawing of an engine stand? Perhaps something built from heavy angle iron. I figure on doing initial disassembly on my existing wood 6x6 temporary stand, and then mounting the block on a more sophisticated stand.

Might be more practical to find a commercial stand.

I suspect it's more practical to just get another good engine, but I'd like to do this as a hobby project.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I want to build a multi engine stand as well. I'd be interested in specs/drawings/blueprints/pics.

I believe I have seen a stand in one of the TM's that showed the engine being held side to side.........

LanceRobson

I have one similar to the one No.2Diesel pictured. I don't think it's big enough for a deuce engine but I'll look for a data plate. It has the geared rotator in the picture but lacks the second post with the jack. Mine holds the engine in over the lower arms, not out over clear floor.

If it looks like it could hold the weight, I'll post back and, if wanted, get some pics and measurements.

What's a deuce engine weigh?

Mine came from the Seneca Army Depot auctions, about 10-12 years ago.

Lance

Monty

RE: how much does a duece motor weigh

I'll build one but someone needs to give me an engine to use for a mock up.

I'll trade an engine for a stand---- Pm me if your interested.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I found these on the web today; don't know if they are govt. or civilian made and it's really more of a storage stand than a engine stand that could be used for rebuilds.

FWIW:

Attachments

tm america

i would put a big block on there but not a deuce motor . the deuce is a inline 6 that weighs 1650lbs and would hang out past the front wheels on that stand.not to mention when you tried to rotate it you wouldnt be able to control it and would probably dump it on its side .the engine stands that are needed for this task have a geared rotator.and will have a rating more than twice the weight of the engine.otc makes one that can handle the job

citizensoldier

I have the front of a deuce frame that was cut off a scrapped truck for the front springs. I was thinking it would not take much to put some heavy rollers on it and build some type of rotisserie.. Just my 2 cents.. Thoughts on the matter?

jimbob1111

5000 Lb engine stands from GL

Hi,
I picked these up last year from GL in Texas.
The Bowie, Hooks/Texarkana base is a pretty good drive from ATL, but I couldn't find a good engine stand to use for a couple of 5.9 Cummins swaps.
GL has sold diesel engine stands there several times, you just have to keep a eye out for them. I have one of those 2000 Lb Harbor Fraud engine stands, I personally wouldn't put anything bigger than a 454 on it. My buddy Daniel hung a Dodge 8.0L V10 on a 1500 Lb rotating stand and the stand failed! Just cause it says 1500 or 2000 Lbs doesn't really mean it will be safe with that amount of weight on it. That's a Chevy 400 SB on the Kiene stand in the pic.
Sometimes you can find a used OTC Rotator stand on CL or Ebay.

Attachments

DUECE-COUPE

the deuce engine stand has 2 rotating supports. you bolt them to the engine and then put them in the stand. it has a gear driven rotater, and is bolted together after the ends are put together. cool idea and you don't have to worry about it getting end heavy. i don't have one, but i might know where to get one or take pics of one.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know if it helps, I was looking at TM 9-2320-361-24P and found the engine stand on page 702, figure 267, item #4. The NSN is 4910-00-795-0189. You can look at the drawing, it's like Deuce Coupe describes.

Rick

rmgill

surplus center has gear reducers anywhere from less than 5:1 all the way up to 60:1 and one model of a 500:1 ratio.

jimbob1111

Hi Gimpyrobb,
I had the blue rotating engine stands gearbox apart when I first got it.
It had lock collars with set screws for end play, and I think the ring gear in the gearbox is welded to the tube.
I got a new digital camera for x-mas, I'll need to get it going and I'll take sum better quality pics of the rotating stand.
I have seen the roterssie type stands, I wonder how much one of those weighs, The stands I have weigh 800-900 Lbs each! without the adapter on them. The Kiene stand is my personal choice since you can stand the engine up, nice for putting pistons in.
James

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks