• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My BIG M925A2 Project Truck Is Home

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow that is great Chris the engine now has hopes of pulling the truck it has been married to for years around again. I am sure the little guy is watching dad work on this one just hope he stays warm while dad is turning wrenches in the winter air.

God bless,

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here are some pics. I'll get the video up later.

Thankfully, the starter wiring was intact. That will save me a lot of time. The alternator wiring was hacked off though along with the 8-wire connector that powers the front clip. Seriously, how hard is it to undo a connector?

The one pic shows Chad's service truck. He cam prepared with a compressor, a genset, and a torpedo heater if it got really cold! :grin:

The M548 belongs to a friend of John's. It's for sale $20k OBO. It's a sweet runner.

Attachments

halftrack

Chris,

Does your tranny still have the PTO attached on the side. If so do you have any pictures of it so I could see how some of the lines and cables are attached.

dittle

Here are some pics. I'll get the video up later.

The alternator wiring was hacked off though along with the 8-wire connector that powers the front clip. Seriously, how hard is it to undo a connector?

Thats how a lot of stuff gets demilled. Some of the tanks/halftracks we've restored it looks like all they did was unhooked the hard connections (power pack mounts/drivetrain), hooked up a crane to lift things out and just started pulling until whatever it was came free. Kind of a crappy way of doing it, but they don't care as its not theirs to deal with later.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Chris,

Does your tranny still have the PTO attached on the side. If so do you have any pictures of it so I could see how some of the lines and cables are attached.
I can get some pics of it, but it will be after Thanksgiving before I am down there again.

BTW, S&S Parts aka New Star can get NOS radiators. They list them in their catalog as: 11669165 S-13860 RADIATOR, 5 TON M809, AUTO
which is the right PN even though it says M809. There is a 6-8 wk lag time, but hey, it's brand new. I am still planning repairing one though.

Dittle, yeah, I understand. The truck was residue, but dang :wink: The headlight connector was cut off too! Looks like Chad will be doing a LOT of soldering and heat-shrinking!

halftrack

Took awhile but finally tracked down the source of new radiators. I spoke with the sales engineer Rick Hite at Indiana Heat Trandfer Co. who bought out McCord Heat Transfer Co. from Cummins. They are currently filling orders for the Military (they also provide the radiators for the Humves) and could sell new radiators for the M939A2 trucks for $702.80. Lead time would be 8 weeks though but he said that is just a standard time and they would most likely just take one off the line to fill a individual order. Their part number for the radiator is PN# 11235 in case anyone wants to know for future reference. He said (as Chris stated before) that the shrouds are super rare and hard to find.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Good info, Jason. Thanks for tracking that down!

Here's my little video from Sunday. I wish I could have taped it when it started on starting fluid, but no dice. Hopefully the next video will have it running on diesel.

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Man, I can't believe that the starter that I sent you actually worked! Just kidding.:roll:
Funny ;) The ground lug was a little on the loose side so it didn't work the first time I hooked it up. LOL! I fiddled with it a little and it cranked. I am going to drop it by the starter shop to let them go through it just in case. It's fun to wrestle it into place, huh? FYI, my spacer was still in place. It was stuck to the block with the gasket.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Chris, just found out a box of parts I got from gsa has alot of m939 stuff. Stupid little stuff, but parts that go on your truck anyway. I'll se if I can get some kind of list together. If you have parts you know you need, let me know, I'll look.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You the man, Gimp! It's the stupid little stuff that is hard to find sometimes! Let me know what you have. I'll probably buy the whole box from you to have for this and future projects!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It has been a busy week sourcing parts for the 925A2. I am headed back to Winslow's this Sunday to put in another all day thrash. Hopefully Chad will be able to join me again. He is indispensable when it comes to the wiring. :-D

I went to NAPA today to pick up all of the necessary filters. They were able to cross a Baldwin filter number for the Allison pan filter and gasket. Here are the numbers for future reference:

• NAPA Gold Transmission Filter and Pan Gasket - 1892
  • NAPA Gold Spin-on Transmission Filter - 1268
  • NAPA Gold Engine Oil Filter - 1649
  • NAPA Gold Fuel Filter - 3472
I picked my starter up from the shop today too. $157 later, the ground lug was reattached inside the case and the whole thing was cleaned, greased, and tested.

I also have a whole mess of stuff ordered from Integrated Parts Systems, which is a subsidiary of Clark Truck. I priced a bunch of stuff at various places on the net and their prices were right in line. I ordered a new thermostat, thermostat-coolant-crossover molded hose, fuel lift pump, timing cover gasket, turbo outlet-downpipe clamp, and a crank gasket kit.

I also have a remanufactured air compressor on the way. I found one for $319 with a 1 year unconditional warranty.

I picked up a bunch of new brake check valves, and other air brake parts along with a new pump shut-off solenoid from Stonepicker here on SS. Thanks Phil.

AMTAK is sending me a power-steering cooler and a couple of fan-shroud halves.

Finally, I found a good deal on the fan clutch actuator on eBay. I got two of them delivered for $52. Now I have a spare.

Phew! What a load! I am also planning on a work day next week sometime. This is turning into another thrash fest like the 923A2 :twisted: Stay tuned big truck fans!!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I forgot to mention one acquisition and it may be the coolest of all. It's a solid brass belt buckle with AM General and a M925A2 on the front, which is interesting seeing that they didn't get the contract for the A2's. The back says "Second in a collector series. M939 Truck."

Cool. I'll post a pic later.

Gimp, I haven't forgotten about you. I just haven't had time to look up all of the NSN's yet.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No worries Chris, the parts are just sitting in my barn. I know I have an oil cooler thingy(that looks pretty cool), some axle seals and wipers, some kind of air filters that go inline with the air filter replacement gauge thing, some bearings and races, and U-joints that are HUGE. I haven't looked any farther.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks