• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unwinding winch cable Please Advise

wsucougarx

I am in the process of cleaning up the winch I just got. I am going to unwind the cable to give it a good cleaning. I did a search and didn't see anything as far as how the cable is attached. Can a guy disconnect the cable? I don't want to go to all the trouble if the cable cannot be removed w/out cutting it. Please advise

sermis

Cable is attached with set screw. I attach the cable to a tree and back up until unwound. Set the parking brake a little and rewind making sure it layers. Then pour used oil over the cable to protect it from rust.

LanceRobson

Due to the acids and other corrosive compounds in used oil the Army stopped using used oil 20 years ago.

Given what a cable costs and the bad things that can happen when they fail, I'd get some winch cable and open gear lube and preservative from an industrial supply house. It's expensive but resists washing off and won't pick up as much dirt as oil.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NAPA has some good stuff in a spray can...Chain and Cable Lube. Goes on foamy and soaks in. Seems to last a long time on my chain binders, always in the weather.

m52a2

current military proceedure is have some unlucky fellow stand about 15 foot from the winch with gloves, a rag, and a tub of grease to coat the cable as it is wound back in !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks