• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need 211 info

1992TWINZ

Just bought a 54 211 my first have a 35 alredy. Have not seen truck but guy says that there is a fuel leak around an access cover on the bottom of the tank is there an access cover there ?? Can anyone help maybe i can brin some gssket matl when i pick up

butch atkins

jm211 gas tank

hey,if it is the stock tank on the truck there is no access cover on the bottom of the tank,there is a sump a bout 5 inches square ,and 1/2 inch deep on the bottom of the tank that has a drain plug hole ,maybe the plug is loose or leaking from there,all it takes is a 1/2 square drive on a ratchet to tighten it up,however since this is a sump,water and therefore rust could be cause of the leak,thes truck tanks are prone to rusting out in the sump area,there is an access cover on the top of the tankl that holds the fuel pump/filter hanger,i would be careful about tightening the plug in the bottom of the tank,however if you can loosen it i would drain the tank and use fresh gas to drive truck,you didnt say if truck was running,i have just spent 200.00 to repair my m211 tank because of rust in this area,good luck ,keep posting,and remember gasoline is extremely flamable,if it is leaking much ,carry a fire extinguisher to be safe

BugEyeBear

Just bought a 54 211 my first have a 35 alredy. Have not seen truck but guy says that there is a fuel leak around an access cover on the bottom of the tank is there an access cover there ?? Can anyone help maybe i can brin some gssket matl when i pick up
HMMMMmmmm....
Sounds Familiar.....
Is this the 211 that was on eBay about a week ago?? In Maine, if I remember correctly.....
(It was a good looking truck.. with a VERY good price! I wish it had been closer to GA...)

IF I WERE YOU I would bring a few sheets of gasket material in a variety of thicknesses so that you could possibly hand cut a gasket to fit. I'd also take a big tube of some liquid gasket that is fuel resistant.
ANOTHER OPTION would be to bring a substitute tank that you could "jerry-rig" in place for the trip home. Since the size will likely be smaller this might result in LOTS of stops to refuel, but it could be the easiest option to get you from point A to B.....

1992TWINZ

This truck was on ebay in vermont i won bid for 611.00 my first early duece. Will pick up next weekend . I will bring all the above. Also he says steers hard to left any insight

BugEyeBear

This truck was on ebay in vermont i won bid for 611.00 my first early duece. Will pick up next weekend . I will bring all the above. Also he says steers hard to left any insight
YUP! That's the one!!

Looked like an ABSOLUTE BARGAIN from what I saw! CONGRATS!! [thumbzup]

(I am SO Jealous!!!) aua

Regarding the steering, could be a variety of items...
I'm assuming he means that the steering resists turning to the left, requiring extra effort. This could be a bad steering box, but more likely it is a worn steering arm, idler arm, or could be one of the knuckle joints is a bit dry or worn. Best way to diagnose would be to isolate each component & see what appears to resist motion. Once you find the culprit, might just require new lubrication. Worst case you'll have to replacxe a few items. (But considering your purchase price you can afford to fix LOTS of items & still have a great inexpensive early Deuce!!)
For the drive home I'd simply check that everything is well lubed, assess how bad the resistance is prior to hitting the road, and plan ahead when making left turns (i.e. give yourself PLENTY of room & time). I guess you COULD just make RIGHT turns!?!? <lol>

Be safe, take your time, & HAVE FUN!! :cool:

I wish that was MY 211!!

1992TWINZ

i must say i have been a member short time 2 trucks in two months and have had nothing but great help from you guys. i absolutly love to drive my 35 and will be bobbing her in spring. but so much want to drive the 54 211 .if anyone is in the upper new hampshire area feel free to stop in . thanks guys. :p

hippiedude

I too had my eye on that one......My wife thanks you... You might jack it up so you can check out the steering the easy way good luck ,be safe , and nice save..... Tim

BugEyeBear

When you get her home and have a few extra minutes PLEASE take some pics and post them here.

It would be great to see what $611 could buy (IF you are REALLY lucky and watch the auctions...) in an early deuce!!

Hey I just realized... $611 for a 211... kinda ironic........ :lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing & hearing about your progress!!

8)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks