• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

V100 Paint Scheme Question

cobmw

I am a newbie to MV's and to this forum. We are buying a V100 that has a Vietnam history for my 13 year-old son and I to enjoy. We would like to participate in MV preservation events both in Colorado and elsewhere. Our V100 is being completely refurbished and should be ready by February. I'll take a camera when I go to see the progress in the next month or two and post lots of pictures here.

We need to make a decision about the paint scheme. I understand that the V100's used in Vietnam were painted olive drab. None had camo colors. But some were sent elsewhere with camo colors. We prefer the camo colors. But at the same time we want to wear uniforms that match the era of the V100. So do we stick with the rather plain-looking olive drab, wear Vietnam era uniforms, and be 100% authentic? Or do we go with the camo paint and still wear Vietnam uniforms in view of this vehicles Vietnam history? Or some other option? Our objective is to show proper respect towards the personnel who used these vehicles and who might see them on parade while at the same time getting the most enjoyment for me and my son. Any constructive ideas would be appreciated.

Chevytruck

whats the color scheme of the vehicle that is going to haul it?

but if you want to remain authentic i would think that it should stay olive drab
but your choice!:-D

and sorry had to do it

nopics

cobmw

I don't have a truck/trailer yet. Will need to give some thought towards something appropriate from the same era. Guess the tow vehicle could be made to match the V100. Sorry about no photos. The only ones I have are from the man doing the refurbishment. I haven't asked for his permission to use them. I'll ask.

dittle

This is the one from our museum that actually served in Vietnam. It struck a land mine with the front passenger side tire which blew that side of the suspension off. There is a little crack in the armor just above the tire well, but other than that you can't tell it was involved in an explosion.

Attachments

Chevytruck

wow :shock:

they must be pretty reliable if they were going to put it into reproduction

hopefully it will prove itself over there... but if its already reliable i doubt it would have trouble proving itself.

B3.3T

The M1117 ASV is not a new production vehicle. They have been building them for over 10 years. It is twice the weight of a V-100 with heavier axles, wheels, and armor. A V-100 grandson more than anything, sharing basic layout and mission. Originally built for Bosnia/Kosovo, they now serve in Iraq as well.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard cobmw. Great to see that we will have another V100 on SS!

First question is what model V100 do you have? If you have the turreted style and are going with Vietnam era, your choice is basically, as stated above, OD. If you have the USAF version with the parapet, those were delivered in camouflage and used in Vietnam and Thailand. The colours were the same as on the aircraft SEAC pattern, two greens and tan (green 34079, green 34102, tan 30219).

Post Vietnam there was an official Merdec (4-colour) pattern for the V100. I have attached a picture of one in that scheme, and I have drawings of the pattern if you are interested. If you are not familiar with that scheme, it uses one basic pattern but the colours are matched to the terrain, eg you can replace one of the greens with brown for woodland environments, or all the greens with tans for desert.
(The colours on this one are a bit faded and grubby).

There were also some used by various folks, including the Marines, Navy and DOE, that wore the 383 pattern, but I have not yet found any good pictures of them. There was a beautiful restoration in those colours at the Dayton MVPA show a couple of years ago. I don't know if that was a personal pattern or if it was an "official" one, but it was gorgeous.

Looking forward to hearing more about your vehicle and seeing some pics.

Cheers

The V100 in the picture belongs to a museum, but I don't remember where.

Attachments

Last edited:

B3.3T

Rephrase: Nothing on an M1117 is the same as a V-100 except the general appearance/layout. A complete list of differences would mirror a complete vehicle parts list.

cobmw

Thanks vtdeucedriver and dittle for the picture and offer to help with ideas. This has been a sort of a whirlwind project for us. My son has always had an interest in anything military. Funny, it's just about his only serious interest. So a few weeks ago I decided to get an mv. We looked at the Fox, Saladin and Cadillac Gage. Settled on the V100 and found one in the process of being refurbished. Still know rather little of the history of V100's, but am anxious to learn. Appreciate your help.

cobmw

Thanks for the welcome M813RC. Ours is the turret version with a Vietnam history. So the proper color is the olive drab - a semi gloss I believe. The vehicle has been painted with a fresh paint job in that color now. But I have seen pictures of the V100 in camo and prefer it. My question is does it spoil the whole purpose of having a historical vehicle to paint it in non-conforming colors? Or will very many of those who come to see it even know? Seems like the folks on this board picked it up pretty fast.

vtdeucedriver

My personal feeling. If it has a past VN history, you have something special!!! If you can track it down to what unit it could have been in, you could possibly find someone who drove it. It would be an honor to them to have it back in her old markings!! Many units are getting together again at reunions and meeting up. I could not imagine finding an old Gun Box for a gun truck and painting it up as something else, but that is just me. You are the one that is spending the $$$$$$. But I can say this, the rewards to you and your son would be unforgetable.

cobmw

Good thought about restoring it with markings back to its original unit. We'd enjoy that. My son is pretty keen on having it as original as possible. Good for him.

I like the tow vehicle. Any idea if these can be driven on a regular driver's license in most places?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My question is does it spoil the whole purpose of having a historical vehicle to paint it in non-conforming colors? Or will very many of those who come to see it even know?
Hard to answer that first question, and you will get many answers, but in the end, it is YOUR vehicle so paint it in a scheme that makes YOU happy. Many of these vehicles that served in Vietnam were returned to the US afterwards (surprising number really, including damaged ones) and used well into the '80s and even later. To be historically accurate, you just need to pick a point in time and paint to that standard. The first V100s I saw were still in service in the early 80's and were all painted Merdec camo. I would hazard a guess that some were Vietnam vets.
The second question is easy, 99% of the folks who see your V won't have a clue! :-D

Cheers

vtdeucedriver

Depends on what your state laws say, but if you are going to get one to haul the V100, id say get CDL. I dont currently have one but all I tow with that is my Pioneer tool trailer full of camping gear. The 5th wheel is dry and I plan on keeping it that way to show that its a non towing truck. But thats for now until I do get my CDL.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks