• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Toys for Tots

mangus580

tft_logo.jpg

Steel Soldiers is proud to announce a partnership with the Marine Corps League & Toys For Tots.

We are organizing efforts to have Steel Soldiers members assist in the collection of toys this year.

The initial idea was to have members coordinate with your local Marine Corps League, setting up a time and place with them. This gives you the benefit of possibly having additional hands during collection. It would also aid in coordination of your efforts with the collection location.

To use this method, please click here to locate the MCL nearest you, and contact them.

After we started going down that road, we discovered that due to time constraints, it may not be the best option. The MCL is probably pretty busy already with their efforts, and contact has proven to be difficult in the few locations that we have already attempted.

So... With that said, we have official approval to collect as a group (group being Steel Soldiers) and turn in the collection at a prearranged location. To do so, members would have to designate a "Local Campaign Coordinator". Depending on the number of members in your area, there is a chance that YOU are your LCC. The LCC's responsibility will be to locate the local office by clicking here. Make arrangements with the proper contact for picking up your campaign package (boxes, banners, flyers, etc) and for dropping off the toys after you collect.

Next the LCC will have to coordinate with a local store/business of choice. We are attempting to target the big chain stores like Walmart, Kmart, Target etc. Get permission from the business to set up outside. Ensure they understand you will be parking your Deuce (CUCV, whatever) out front to collect. We are working on getting national permission from Walmart, and that will be posted upon receipt.

Another method would be to contact the Young Marines.
They have units nationwide and are also Toys for Tots authorized.

rtjraleigh

Banned
Outstanding sir! In addition, if anyone needs info on contacting the MCL or Young Marines please do not hesitate and PM me. I need your NAME, CITY , COUNTY, STATE, MV AND PHONE #. I am still working on lining up contact for the 20 plus SS volunteers that got this whole thing rolling.

Mike, Thanks again. Without you i would be pulling my hair out by now. rob

rtjraleigh

Banned
The following SS members have been lined up with detachments so far.

rtjraleigh/rob - Co Founder SST4T / MCL dept of nc / Young Marines National

mangus580/mike - Co Founder SST4T / MCL dept of NY / Young marines of NY

deuceswildm211/james - MCL dept of NC / 3rd div Young Marines

bulldogmack/jay - MCL det #1236 johnston county NC

Tanner/bryan - MCL det #1257 Wake Forest NC

Cgarbee/Cabell - MCL det #733 Cary NC / Capital City Young Marines

muddog/harold - MCL det #1105 Greenville SC

MDSA/brian - MCL det #1197 Morganton NC

oilcan - MCL det #273 Zanesville OH

jasonjc/jason - MCL #853 Fayetteville ARK

ziggyo/ziggy - MCL #1127 East Brunswick NJ

Recovery4x4 - MCL det #68 South FL

scooter1922/scott - MCL det #127 Essex County Mass

boatcarpenter/prentice - MCL Dept of NH

oldgrunt - MCL det #497 - Lancaster OH

thank you gentlemen. please PM me with FULL NAME, CITY, COUNTY, STATE, MV AND PHONE #

Last edited:

Cdub

I have been helping the " Toys for Tots " for the past two years at their annual football game. I collect all the toys in the back of my USMC five ton cargo.

The unit I help out with is the Marine Corps League Detachment 434 " GOONEY BIRD " out of New Milford, New Jersey.

The very Best,

C'dub

Attachments

littlebob

Great to see we are getting involved in the program. With a lot of our soldiers deployed and the economy not as good as it has been in recent years, the program needs as many new participents as it can find. When my son first joined the Young Marines, we had a really great guy that was in charge of the program. Last year all of our local unit was deployed to the war in Iraq. The last Christmas was a little thinner than I had seen
in years before. Our local unit spent time at the reserve center sorting the toys by age and
making them unreturnable so they could go to the kids that recieved them. Hopefully we will be able to contribute again this year. I hope everyone here helps contribute either through time or monetary contributions.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=7919&highlight=tots

littlebob

ssgtwright-usmc

First I want to say (Thank You) to Steel Soldiers for picking something up that is instrumental!!
For people who dont know what (Toys For Tots) is for and how it started I will give a quick description.
Toys for Tots was formed in WWII and we all should know that history.
Someone from the Marine Corps (Enlisted ranks) said something and got Toys For Tots going.
I donate every year buying small gifts that are un-wrapped.
Toys for Tots will not take money so anyone asking for money then they are not part of the Tots For Tots.
You can donate toys to your local Marine Corps recruiting office and at Official sites that they have arranged.
I am glad and proud to see that (Steel Soldiers) is taking part of something that Im proud of being part of.
The Marine Corps (WILL NOT) take cash but gifts only if they are un-wrapped.
Anyone saying they represent the Marine Corps (Toys For Tots) and ask for cash then walk away.
This is a good cause to give kids a X-max.
Give from your heart as much as you can.
Bring the gifts to a Marine Corps reserve unit or recruiter.
This is the best post I have seen so far because its not asking about (our selfs) but asking to help!!!!
Im poor but Im still giving!!!!

ONTOS66

My first experience with Toys for Tots was in the 70's when I was with 3rd ANGLICO (Air Naval Liason Company), USMCR in Long Beach Calif. They had a VERY aggressive program and really came through with the goods. On one occasion we participated at a charity volleyball game between a "professional" team and the cast from "Happy Days" and some other TV shows. Admission price was one unwrapped toy per person. We had to send the truck back to the unit to unload and return for more stuff.

A trick that I've tried with pretty good success to get more bang for my buying buck. Contact the manager at the local PX (if you are military) or a large toy store (like Toys Are Us). Explain what you are buying and why and your budget and see what they can do with a price break to get more toys for that amount. Since it is cash out of my pocket I like to stretch it as far as I can.

I've also involved family members who "volunteer" part of their own gift giving and receiving dollars to purchase stuff for Toys for Tots. We all have so much we can all afford to do with one less neck tie with a naked lady.

In summary it is a Great program run by the Marine Corps Reserve. There is no operating overhead (like most charities) and everything goes to give some kids a better Christmas.

You might say its the Christian thing to do ... but to the Marines it is Mission Accomplished.

Semper Fi!!

rtjraleigh

Banned
Gentlemen, happy thanksgiving, but i still need contact info for the SS members that are volunteering. Starting to get MCL detachment contacts return emails and phone calls and i dont have info. Thanks, rob

Cdub

I have a " Signs by Tomorrow " in the next town over.......Can I get hooked up with a banner like the one you have on your deuce........??

Thank You,

C'dub

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, that's my old truck! I'm ashamed of myself, I had her almost 2 years, you have it a month and have done all that! WOW! She definitely went to a better home.

Sorry, I just had to say something about it.

Anything going on in SC for Toys for Tots? I am willing to help, I have a M109 still.

rtjraleigh

Banned
Had my first Toys for Tots event today at Walmart. We set up from 10am till 5pm and collected just over 150 toys. I will be going back tomorrow for 6 hour We also are having and article written up about us in two of the local newspapers. Whatever i can do to help you guys out for your area please let me know and i will get you that information. semper fi, rob (im the good looking one second from right)

Attachments

rtjraleigh

Banned
Will be back on the phone in the am monday. Alot of people have been gone for the holiday. Every SS member that has contacted me for help has had a phone call and email sent to that area for you. I have arrangened banners from Signs by Tomorrow to be donated in certain areas also. I'm trying guys. I went out on my own today, again to another Walmart and collected 58 toys and $133.25 in cash. Had to work this one from the inside the front door due to rain. I did have the truck right outside.

The best way is to do it by yourself with friends and family. Go to MArine Corps recruiting office or reserve center. Get the banners and box and drop of info from them. Call Walmart, Target, Kmart or any other large store with toys and get permission to set up for 4 or so hours. Do not get caught taking cash donations without an authorization (just dont accept cash). If you get caught taking cash donations or running a box without turning in the toys will not be tolerated. Like mike said in the forum header, we can do this ourselves and we will be more organized next year for the "Steel Soldiers t4t". rob

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks