• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Successful M35A2 Recovery FT Lewis (#4 recovery)

wsucougarx

I almost defaulted on this one. I waited almost a month to pick her up after receiving my paid in full invoice. I had a number of issues that came up but now that I have picked her up, I am definately going to keep her. The weather around here has changed drastically from a week ago. This morning when we set out the temperature gauge registed 19 degrees. Plenty of snow and ice on the ground. Got the truck loaded up and we set out for FT Lewis. This was my 3rd Deuce pickup and 5th recovery overall. The trip there was a little slow going as I was down to 35 MPH in the Black Hills. We arrived at FT Lewis around 1130 hours. Temp was a whopping 23 degrees. Got my badge from Tony w/no questions asked. I guess I've been there so many times that they just expect me;-) Drove my truck back to the deuce and started to have my reservations. The leaky wheel cylinder was in the back of my mind as well as my fun recovery trip to Camp Withycombe and the brake issues. Anyways, went to fire her up...dead batteries. I got my two 12v battery recharges out and just so happens an outlet lay just 10 ft from my truck. Hooked everything up and waited...waited...waited. Apparently either too cold, not enough juice from the chargers, or I'm just too impatient to wait for the batteries to charge. Tony just so happened to pass by and smiled. He said he'd give me a jump but many of the truck up for the next auction have dead batteries. There was a M35 w/w that sold this last auction and I tried to fire her up and whammo. Tony went and fetched his slave cables. It took about 10 min to get my duece fired up, batteries were way low and the engine was darn cold. The oil hasn't been changed in ages as shown by the black sooty oil coupled with the very cold temperatures over the past few days. It was thick like maple syrup. Anyways the truck started up just fine, no leaks, plenty of good brake pressure and no leaks:roll:(was leaking before). Had some spoils in the tool box: 3 ton jack w/handle, two air hoses w/glad hands, tool bag, two wheel bolt tools, somekind of spill containment bag w/stuff in it, fire ext, . Got on the road and made it the 60 miles w/no problems. I immediately drained the nasty oil and changed out the oil filters.
Its a 1968 Kaiser-Jeep M35A2 Tooele Depot rebuilt in 1990. Truck has a new transfer case, newer tranny, mostly new tires, very minimal rust, truck only has 4900 miles on her and it shows.

Attachments

50shooter

Nice story and pics. Nice to hear that folks are still coming out ok on some of these. Guys talk about the good ones being picked over etc. etc. but looks like there was at least one more out there.

wsucougarx

Yah, this truck was originally sold JUN08 or so, got defaulted and relisted in NOV. In fact I found a total of 3 other GL auction tags in the truck so looks like it defaulted more than once. I almost became another default:| Anyways, the truck runs and drives better than any other deuce I have driven. The box seat was a bit harsh compared to the spring seat but I do like sitting a bit lower (good trade-off).

50shooter

I see in your signature block GPD and KJ listed. Is this General Products Division and Kaiser Jeep? What is the difference? When I bought mine they said it was a GMC so I assumed American General but the data plate list General Products Division.

Thanks
Jason

wsucougarx

I see in your signature block GPD and KJ listed. Is this General Products Division and Kaiser Jeep? What is the difference? When I bought mine they said it was a GMC so I assumed American General but the data plate list General Products Division.

Thanks
Jason
Yes GPD is General Products Division and JK is Jeep Kaisier. The difference is really the company who made the truck. JK was bought out by GPD around 1970-1971 ish or so. So basically the year corresponds to the manuf of the truck as there is no JK 1972 M35A2 etc (I believe). GMC did make the Korean era deuces and earlier M35A2's. Does it have the round front end and automatic tranny?

wsucougarx

Glad things went well and you didn't have to monkey with the brakes. Another saved.
No didn't have to touch the brakes. Not sure if it was the really cold weather that shrunk the rubber on the wheel cylinder or not. Got home and checked out the wheel, no leaks or drips. That's still not going to stop me from pulling the wheels off and replacing it though.

50shooter

Yes GPD is General Products Division and JK is Jeep Kaisier. The difference is really the company who made the truck. JK was bought out by GPD around 1970-1971 ish or so. So basically the year corresponds to the manuf of the truck as there is no JK 1972 M35A2 etc (I believe). GMC did make the Korean era deuces and earlier M35A2's. Does it have the round front end and automatic tranny?
It does not have the round front end and is the standard 5 speed with high / low TC. The red truck in my avatar is the one in question. CARNAC verified that it is a 1971 and I checked online and all it lists is "Jeep" The truck appears to be almost all original so I'm assuming all the name plate data and placards are correct.

Thanks

wsucougarx

Hmm, not sure. The guy to ask in here is DDoyle. The guy has a few books out on MV and knows everything there is to know about the history of the M35A2

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks