• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-37 top question.

TxRider

I'm getting close to getting my frame off rebuild/repower on my '53 M37 done, and I have a question.. I'm trying to get the canvas top hardware all together and installed.

The truck didn't come with any bolts holding the supports in behind the door. I got new canvas top bows and I got a pair of u-bolts and j-bolts from John Bizal, but I can't see where and how the J-bolt goes in.. Anyone have a pic of it?

Last edited:

knattrass

The J's go in the slot in door pillar near where the striker plate is for the latch. You'll see them when you install the side frames. The rod of the side frame has a little groove around it about a 1.5 inch up from the tip. Install the side frame and then look from the inside and you'll see the groove - the J goes around the groove and then bolts up. When tight, the side frames won't come out. We ended cutting a piece of truck mudflap with a hole drill in it which fits over the rod and is in position between the side frame and the door pillar to avoid paint chips. Not sure what you mean by u-bolts?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's your TX location? Either a local SS member with an M37 or someone from one of the MVPA clubs could probably swing by to give you a hand. I'm just north of San Antonio but there are too many of us to count wandering around the state.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you buy this truck out of Phoenix on eBay? If so, I'm sorry I made you pay more for it. I think I was bidding against you (or you against me). I paid about 1/2 as much for the one I finally got but your's has about 50 times LESS rust than mine did.

TxRider

Did you buy this truck out of Phoenix on eBay? If so, I'm sorry I made you pay more for it. I think I was bidding against you (or you against me). I paid about 1/2 as much for the one I finally got but your's has about 50 times LESS rust than mine did.
Yep I did.

It actually has no rust really, besides a little from a battery acid under the passenger seat. There's one hole eaten through from that at the back cab corner.

It was a little beaten up from 4 wheeling in the desert I guess.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what I'm saying. Mine runs and stops good for a piece of swiss cheese. I questioned it a bit when he said it had factory power steering and brakes but then I haven't seen it all so I took him at his word. Glad to see it went to a good home and is getting fixed up properly. If you need a new tub that is more fiberglass and bondo than it is metal, let me know.

TxRider

The power steering was there and worked, but it about the worst scabbed on box I think I've ever seen, had to grind the welded plate off the frame and the steering column was butchered, cut too short, and the wheel was so tight to the dash and tilted so far it couldn't stay.

The power brakes were ok, had to pump em a couple times for pedal though, vaccum booster under the seat. I'll probably sell the booster when I'm done.

But it did run and drive.

All electrics had been replaced, nothing original, a lot of engine stuff was non original.

The winch needs a rebuild, the PO had wrapped half the line one way, kinked it and wrapped the other half on backwards, and sucked the 30' long lead chain around the spool and bent everything up.

I started off intending to rebuild just a piece at a time, but it ended up in a frame off before I knew it.

That grew into a cummins swap, 3053a trans, front and rear 4.89 gears with arb lockers, 4 wheel disks etc. etc.

I'm closing in on it though, I can see light at the end of the tunnel..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks