• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Droop screw questions

Hammer

Ok, very little information about messing with the droop screw.
Looks like some of the newer IPs have removed the droop screw all together.

I already have the EGT and boost gauges installed, so what would be the drawbacks of basically removing it? Means getting more fuel in the lower rpms, but it only controls it up till around 2,000 rpm anyway, so any extra heat issues would be short lived anyways.

So, before I mess with it, are there any REAL drawbacks to this idea?

SasquatchSanta

Hammer ... I wouldn't do that. More isn't always better. I believe the droop screw controls the fuel delivery up to 1,600 RPM - not 2,000. If you throw too much fuel into the engine it will just spit it out --- wet stack --- it might even invite a scored liner.

Did you search "Droop Screw"?

I've been into this pretty heavily and will continue to do more mileage tests next spring when I start driving on other than number-one diesel.

Check out this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=24388

Good luck

Hammer

Yeah, I searched for it, and I have read your thread a few times now.
I rarely have high EGTs in the lower rpms. Mainly just at the higher rpms on hills do my EGTs climb. And I have the main fuel adjustment turned up a BIT.

I would like to adjust the droop screw for better low end, and maybe take a little fuel out of the top end.
I rarely spend much time below 1,600 under any kind of real load. But having more power there would seem to get the load moving a little faster ;)
Kind of suspicious that I need to adjust the droop screw anyways, because it doesn't seem all that balanced between low and high rpm power/boost/smoke.
My initial full load tests showed lower boost then spec'd out for the low rpm test. But I didn't get perfect tests, I just did them on a 'oh yeah, let me see what the boost is while out on a drive' kind of thing.

SasquatchSanta

One of the nice things about the multi is that the fuel settings are easy to adjust. I personally would be concerned about removing the droop screw but as far as adjusting it goes --- what the heck --- stick your finger in it and find out.

From my limited experience, it doesn't take much of a twist on the droop setting to make a difference.

Keep us posted.

Hammer

Yeah, I noticed your setup only required turning it 1/8 of a turn for a good amount of change.

And I agree, it is pretty darn easy to adjust these. No different cam plates, performance boxes, etc.

Timing would make another difference, but I don't feel i would be worth the effort for 90% of us.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need to know if you even have a droop screw some IP's use a smoke cam and you have to change the angle to reduce or raise the fuel. The test is done at 1600 rpm but the droop or smoke cam control up to 2000. I cant remember but I think it's C and D pumps that have a droop but don't quote me as I am to lazy to pull up the right TM.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks