• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oh Lord.. Save Me Now..

blindarrow

I've just placed a bid for a M35A2C on GovLiquidation.

I think I'm in for a LOT of future headaches, but we will see. If anyone in TN has purchased one through here, and can give me some pointers in case I win, I'd appreciate it. I'm going to attempt to drive her home upon winning, so let's hope all goes well.

I may officially join the ranks here soon. :-D

cleb

Welcome to SS!

Do lots of reading, and have lots of fluids, filters, tools, and other supplies when you do go pick her up (http://defcon-3.net/gallery/m35a2_2_recovery/IMG_0957 - My CV ready for a recovery). If your not feeling up to it yourself, see if another member who has done it before is available to come along and help. I did that my first time and wouldn't do it differently if I had the chance. Be sure to check over the truck COMPLETELY. There are many issues that can arise. I know a guy who had driveline bolts in place, but no nuts. Engine to tranny bolts loose. The bolts on the jackshaft between the tranny and tcase like to come loose as well. I spend AT LEAST a couple hours in the lot with the truck before I even roll a foot. I have seen some people come, slave the truck and drive off the base within half an hour. Some people get lucky, but would hate to forget to check the brake fluid level and it bite you down the road. Here is a partial checklist I made from a post on this site: http://defcon-3.net/~cleb/Checklist.pdf it has a lot of good info but is by no means totally complete. Recovery stories are always good to read and learn from the problems others have run into. If you buy a soft top truck, bring a roll of duct tape. The front seams like to pull stiches and take the top off. Read as much as you can on here, and if you do win, have a safe recovery!

wsucougarx

Read, read, read, read, study, study, study. Everything will fall in place once you get in here and start reading all the posts. Do a search under "Recovery" "pick up" pay particular attention to the details. Definately get a fellow SS to go with you so they can give you a "crash course" on what to look for. Offer to pay for their fuel and lunch and you will have a happy teacher:razz:

blindarrow

I'm actually thinking that my best bet will be to avoid driving it home, if at all possible.. Just too much liability and what-not with driving it.

Lorax

Having it shipped home is certainly the safest way. How far away from the 'ol girl are you? If you win, and if this is your 1st EUC, then you'll have a couple weeks of waiting before you can bring her home. If you're close enough, use this waiting time to start checking things out. Bring a tech manual with you and go see the truck. If you learn where all the plugs, fittings, etc are, it'll speed things up on the happy day you do get to bring her home.

Of course, if you have her shipped, then you can do all this at home after delivery.

blindarrow

Having it shipped home is certainly the safest way. How far away from the 'ol girl are you? If you win, and if this is your 1st EUC, then you'll have a couple weeks of waiting before you can bring her home. If you're close enough, use this waiting time to start checking things out. Bring a tech manual with you and go see the truck. If you learn where all the plugs, fittings, etc are, it'll speed things up on the happy day you do get to bring her home.

Of course, if you have her shipped, then you can do all this at home after delivery.
I'm only about ~100 miles away from her. It will be my first EUC.

I'm doing a bunch of reading and stuff already in preparation, and talking to friends of friends to see about towing and what-not.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That should be cheap to have the truck shipped. What could it cost? $250? $300? Less? That is nothing when you consider the possible headaches.

Lorax

Could be more than a couple hundred $. Some months ago, when fuel prices were running close to $5 a gallon, my 818 was located about 60 miles away. When checking on towing prices, I was told that a large wrecker would've been needed (no flatbed) and that the price would've been pushing $700. It'd be cheaper now with lower fuel prices, and different hauling options. Luckily I got the 818 running, took the backroads home, and had an absolute blast.

TaylorTradingCo

Come down and see me in Ringgold. I have a bunch of trucks and trailers here we all got from GL. We drove one home last night from Hunstville.

I have a 25' gooseneck that I usually bring them home with. I might be able to help you out, depending upon where it is.

Derek Taylor
423-255-6509

unclewilson

been thinking of buying one also mechanically inclined . but was wondeing thell let u drive it off base? what do they usually end uo selling for? do go to gov auction site often tks . trying to learn before buying .. thier multi fuel !?

madsam

I don't think "100 miles" is very far as long as you get it running. Many people here drive a lot mote than that with a new truck. (Well, new to them..) I would be inclined to drive it if it ran, or I could get it running. Most of these don't have a lot of miles. Check fluids, batteries, brakes, all parts. It is not different than jumping in an old pickup you just bought from some guy 100 miles away. ( I would talk a friend into fallowing me.)

unclewilson - The engine depends on what you are looking for. On average the 2.5s have multifuel. The 5tons have 250 cumins diesel. Some older trucks have other things, like a Mac engine and a gas engine. You would want to know what you are buying. Most of the GL stuff will say multifuel if it is a multifuel.

P.S. unclewilson - Most of us old farts here don't understand the new text shorthand. Just an FYI.

Last edited:

HeadWizard

I've just placed a bid for a M35A2C on GovLiquidation.

I think I'm in for a LOT of future headaches, but we will see. If anyone in TN has purchased one through here, and can give me some pointers in case I win, I'd appreciate it. I'm going to attempt to drive her home upon winning, so let's hope all goes well.

I may officially join the ranks here soon. :-D
Be prepared to watch the auction all the way to the end. It seems as most of the real bidding gets done in the last hour or so :roll:

I've used uship.com several times to get good shipping quotes.

mistaken1

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the looney bin!!!!!:cookoo:

You are close to the headquarters of the Alabama MV Mafia.

Myself, Freightrain, Bama Lady, and a few others are withing 100 miles of you.

When you get your prize home be ready to travel and attend rallies.

We are hoping to have a mini-rally in the near future.

There is also MPVA events held in Birmingham, Mobile and other locations.

One of the big events of the year is Clinto's rally held in the fall near Madison, GA.

Hope you can join us for the fun.

M-37Bruce

Welcome

Welcome to SS!

Do lots of reading, and have lots of fluids, filters, tools, and other supplies when you do go pick her up (http://defcon-3.net/gallery/m35a2_2_recovery/IMG_0957 - My CV ready for a recovery). If your not feeling up to it yourself, see if another member who has done it before is available to come along and help. I did that my first time and wouldn't do it differently if I had the chance. Be sure to check over the truck COMPLETELY. There are many issues that can arise. I know a guy who had driveline bolts in place, but no nuts. Engine to tranny bolts loose. The bolts on the jackshaft between the tranny and tcase like to come loose as well. I spend AT LEAST a couple hours in the lot with the truck before I even roll a foot. I have seen some people come, slave the truck and drive off the base within half an hour. Some people get lucky, but would hate to forget to check the brake fluid level and it bite you down the road. Here is a partial checklist I made from a post on this site: http://defcon-3.net/~cleb/Checklist.pdf it has a lot of good info but is by no means totally complete. Recovery stories are always good to read and learn from the problems others have run into. If you buy a soft top truck, bring a roll of duct tape. The front seams like to pull stiches and take the top off. Read as much as you can on here, and if you do win, have a safe recovery!
I like the checklist idea, I thinking it could be adapted to many other MV's?

JohnnyReb

You have alot of help and expertise close with some good SS members. If you drive it home, see if one or more members can go with you. We need very little reason to hop in a truck for a ride!!

If you go without assistance at least let some of the fellas know your schedule and be on standby if you have problems...

Good Luck and welcome to the grease pit.....

Should you drive or haul? I have hauled one 600 miles and driven previously unseen trucks home from 500 miles.... Take your pick...

TaylorTradingCo

Again, come down and see me in Ringgold. I am only 10-15 minutes away from you. I have a bunch of trucks, trailers and parst for both for sale. If nothing else, you can get some valuable insight.

Derek Taylor
423-255-6509

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks