• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 Dimensions

Rubicon51

Ok i'm looking for a m101 to pull behind my suburban. I like the A2/A3 with the surge breaks. My question is about the inside dimensions. The M101A1 is smaller right, I want to put a camper in the back of a M101 but the camper is 8.5' long, and 79" wide. I know it won't fit in an A1 but will it fit in an A2/A3 and allow the tailgate to close? if the width is good on the A2/A3 but its just to short, do you think it would be hard to add the extra length to the bed with a donar M101A1 trailer body, will the A1 and A2 bodies match up to lengthen the A2 body if need be?

Thanks

Blackfox

Hi Rubicon51

Here are the interior bed dimensions of my M101A2.

L - 95 15/16 with the tailgate close exactly 96.

W - 65

With between the wheel wells 45 1/2

So unfortunately it looks like your camper is a tad too big. However, I think it would fit in the new M1101 trailers designed for the HMMWV.

Rubicon51

Well I forgot that the camper is only 4' at the bottom, so its made tofit in between the wheel wells. But it seems I would still have a problem, the exact measurement of the camper width at the bottom is 48 7/8. If the M101a2 is only 45 1/2 between wells, maybe I could modify the wheel wells to get the extra few inches. The camper is an S250G electrical shelter, and I know i've seen them in the m101 trailer. How did they get it to fit? The length of the trailer is 6 7/8 too short, but I can deal with that, possibly lenghten the trailer by that much.

How to get an S-250G thats 48 7/8 to fit in a M101A2.

Thanks

Blackfox

The new M1101/2 are a fairly bigger than the M101. They are between an M101 & a M105. Here are the dimensions.

L 102-7/8
W 80-1/3
WW 56-4/6 (wheel well with) This is about an inch wider than the HMMWV bed.

So you can see it is about a foot longer and wider than the M101. The space between the wheel well is almost a foot wider too and is about an inch wider than than the HMMWV wheel wells. It holds more too. It's rated as a 1-1/4 ton. The only draw back of the M1101 is that the tailgate is only as wide as the WW. But will definitely hold a shelter.

The company that makes them is called Silver Eagle Manufacturing. They are in Portland Oregon.
http://www.silvereaglemfg.com/
Info on the trailers are here.

I've talked to them before and they will sell one to the public for $10,000. Cheap ;-) I've seen used ones go for about $3,000 but they are difficult to find.

Blackfox

By the way, here are the specs for the M101 and A2/A3 (which are a little bigger.)
Also keep in mind that the measurements given are for the cargo body and not the bed which I measure with a tape measured.

DIMENSIONS
Overall:
Length ..............................................................................147 in. (373.38 cm)
Width ..............................................................................73.5 In. (186.69 cm)
Height of Chassis ...................................................................35 in. (88.9 cm)
Height of Cargo Trailer (M101A2 and M101A3):
Empty..................................................................................83 in. (210.82 cm)
Loaded................................................................................79 In. (200.66 cm)

Cargo Body (Old Style):
Length...............................................................................76 in. (193.04 cm)
Width .............................................................................65.5 in. (166.37 cm)
Height .................................................................................18 in. (45.72 cm)
Tread ................................................................................72 in. (182.88 cm)
Cargo Body (New Style) (M101A2 and M101A3):
Length..................................................................................100 in. (254 cm)
Width .............................................................................73.5 in. (186.69 cm)
Height ............................................................................19.84 in. (50.39 cm)

TOWING INFORMATION
Towing Attachment .................................................................Drawbar Coupler
Towing Vehicle .................................................................CUCV Series, HMMWV
Series, 2-1/2 Ton series,
5 Ton series

WEIGHTS
Payload (Maximum):
Cross-country .....................................................................1500 lb (681 kg)
Highway .........................................................................2250 lb (1021.5 kg)
(Personal note. I've towed 3,000 lb many times with no problem)

Empty:
Wheels ...........................................................................1225 lb (556.15 kg)
Front Support Leg...............................................................115 lb (52.21 kg)
Total 1340 lb (608.36 kg)
With Payload:
Wheels
Cross Country...............................................................2640 lb (1198.56 kg)
Highway .......................................................................3360 lb (1525.44 kg)
Front Support Leg
Cross-country.......................................................................200 lb (90.8 kg)
Highway ...........................................................................230 lb (104.42 kg)
Total
Cross-country................................................................2840 lb (1289.36 kg)
Highway ........................................................................3590 lb (1629.86 kg)

Rubicon51

Thanks,

I'll stick with alittle in my $$$$ range. The m101a2 is what i'm looking for, but it it does not seem that the s-250 will fit between the wheel wells. I know its been done, check this out gimpyrobb sent me this is another thread. http://www.sanlee.com/jeep/S250camper/default.htm The shelter i'm looking at is longer though 102 7/8L and 48 7/8/W just right for the M1101 but wow$$$$. I know the m101 is a hair to short but i'm ok with that. Its the width that i'm trying to figure out. How did he get it to fit? What do I have to do?

Thanks

Rubicon51

Ok, I found the original thread for the camper build that I mentioned in the previous post. If you read the whole thread it has more info than the builders website does. All he did did to get the s250 to fit in the m101, is change the axle and remove the fender wells. He went with an axle with electric brakes and the width of the new axle was 8" wider the the stock axle. Then all he had to do was cut away the fender wells. I think I can get the extra 3" I need by using offset wheels and then just trim the wheel wells. I can retain the stock axle and surge breaks. (also keeps the cost of the build down)

The m101 uses a standard 8 lug gm wheel correct? These wheels are plentyful and I should not have a problem finding the wheels I need. Then I will have the correct width for the s250, just alittle over hang at the tailgate. Here is the llink to the original thread for this s250 camper conversion.

Thanks

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43618

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One note of reference, Blackfox listed the old cargo box length as 76" which he probably got from a TM. The actual length of the box is 96". One might also be able to use an M105 box on the 101 frame giving you the extra width and an extra foot in length.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Schutt Industries manufactures/sells M1101/2's also to Uncle Sam.... When I did the research, Schutt was $2,000 cheaper than Silver Eagle, and had a 2 week lead time instead of 10-15 weeks Silver Eagle quoted. For the exact same trailer.....

Rubicon51

One note of reference, Blackfox listed the old cargo box length as 76" which he probably got from a TM. The actual length of the box is 96". One might also be able to use an M105 box on the 101 frame giving you the extra width and an extra foot in length.

Recovry I think the 76" box that blackfox was referring to was the old style m101a1 box. The newer m101a2/3 box is 96" or so. Are you telling me that the 101a1 is also 96"? If so that would be great, they seem to be alot cheaper. Down side of the a1 is no breaks. I also thought of an m105 box on a m101 frame. But the box would be to long ( i don't wasnt any dead space). Long enough that I think I would have to also lengthen the m101 frame. Also the wieght of the 105 box might be an issue.

I think I like the the idea of the offset wheels and then trim the wheel wells. Do you think that would work?

Even if the M1101 is 2k cheaper at schutt ind. Thats still about 6k more than I want to spend for just the trailer. My budget for the trailer is about $1500.

Can I get a decent m101a2 with surge breaks for $1500?

Thanks Guys for the help

Blackfox

The 76" came from the TM. I have never owned an M-101A1 or been able to compare my A2 to the A1. So I really don't know for sure. I'm just trusting the TM.

I've been wanting to turn my trailer in to a camper as well. I looked at the s250 shelter but I just felt it was too small. I wanted something bigger so I can store all my camping gear in it too.

I also considered putting an M-105 box on a M101 trailer body too but I found the modifications to be more trouble than it was worth. If you're going to go that route, you're better off just getting an M105. The best thing about the M105 is that they are cheap and easy to find. There are only two draw backs. One is that it's about a 1,000 lb heavier that the M101 (2,650 lb). If your vehicle can tow that, then no problems. The other issue are the brakes. You will need to replace the air brakes with an electric or surge brake. After some considerable thought, I think I'm going to sell my M101A2 and buy a used M1101 or 02. (I've seen them around the $3,000 range). The cargo bed is actually wider than the M105 (M105 - 74 / M1101 - 80.3) The bed length is slightly longer than the M-101 but about 2-1/2 feet shorter than the M-105. The big bonus is even though it has a much bigger cargo bed than the M101 is still weighs about the same at 1,460 lb. And since it was design for the HMMWV, which I have, no modification is required.

On the brakes. I would definitely get one with surge brakes. There have been a couple of time where I had idiots cut in front of me towing a 3,000lb load and it was a wonderful feeling to feel the surge brakes kick in when I had to hit my breaks. The other nice thing about surge brakes is that it only cost me a $150 to modify it so that it could be towed by a civilian vehicle. All I had to buy was a combo ball & Pintel hitch for $115 and $35 for add on 12v trailer brakes lights that you simply screw on the back of the tail lights. It took only 10 min. to install. So now I can tow it with my HMMWV or SUV. If you had electric brakes you would then have to deal with the 12 vs 24 volts.

Two other things I would invest in is an adjustable landing foot for the back and a hand crank landing foot with a wheel in the front. This way you can use both the front and back legs to level the trailer as well as keep it from rocking. Also having a landing foot with a wheel makes it much easier to move around by hand and hooking it up to the vehicle by yourself.

Rubicon51

Thanks for the info guys.
Is the width the same on an m101a1 and a m101a2?

Also what is the going rate for a decent m101a2, and m101a1.

Thanks

Blackfox

On average I've seen them run from $500 to $1,500. On the west coast they usually cost more because there are fewer of them out here. Plus most of the one out here were bought back east and shipped west. So when they sell they try to recover that cost.

The A2 & A3 usually sell for more and if the have HMMWV tires even higher. I paid $1,200 for mine (A2) out here in California. It came with HMMWV bias tires. If you want to spend less you can always bid for one on the GL site. M101s also tend more popular because they can be towed by most civilian SUVs & trucks.

Rubicon51

Thats not too bad of a price.
M101A2/$1,200
M101A1/$500

Something like that anyhow.
All the GL has around me is the A1.
I might have to drive abit to pick up an A2.

number9

Why not look on GL for a M101A3? They are same cargo bed as the A2 but 55" between the wheelwells. They seem to go between $400-$500 with out the side boards & tarp.

stancanpara

Ok, I found the original thread for the camper build that I mentioned in the previous post. If you read the whole thread it has more info than the builders website does. All he did did to get the s250 to fit in the m101, is change the axle and remove the fender wells. He went with an axle with electric brakes and the width of the new axle was 8" wider the the stock axle. Then all he had to do was cut away the fender wells. I think I can get the extra 3" I need by using offset wheels and then just trim the wheel wells. I can retain the stock axle and surge breaks. (also keeps the cost of the build down)

The m101 uses a standard 8 lug gm wheel correct? These wheels are plentyful and I should not have a problem finding the wheels I need. Then I will have the correct width for the s250, just alittle over hang at the tailgate. Here is the llink to the original thread for this s250 camper conversion.

Thanks

Camper Build - NC4x4 Forum
No, they are 5 lug wheels

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks