Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need some creative thoughts...

Thanks

You could do it on the history of the SPARS, it was the womens group of the CoastGuard during WW2 they actually ran lifeboat operations, and did a moajority of shoreside operations.

Thanks

thanks for all the good ideas!! I have not made up my mind about what I'm going to do yet, but I'll let everyone the topic. Thanks again.

Thanks

Not just balloon attacks , I thought Japan had fired from a submarine on the west coast . Hit nothing of much value though , I think a pumping station or oil refinery pump , research it .
    Last edited by m.walker; 02-10-2009 at 12:21.
    M52
    M62
    M139
    M750
    M54
    S250 shelter
    Army Aerostar

Thanks
    Thanked 2,530 Times in 1,225 Posts

One such PW camp was at Camp Perry, Ohio. 10 PW's were put into each 14' x 14' building which had a coal stove in the middle, a door and three windows, but no insulation. They were used for competitor housing till the early 1990's - I've stayed in them (but the competitors only had four to a hut, and no stove).
    Mike KK4AIF

M109A3 Shop Van (G4-38 )
    M35A2 Cargo Truck (G4-39)
    S-280 Commo Shelter (bunk house on M-36)
    MKT-85 Kitchen Trailer (G4-T1)
    M36A2 Cargo Truck (G4-40)
    2nd M35A2 Cargo Truck (G4-41)
    3rd M35A2 Cargo Truck (G4-43)
    2nd M109A3 Shop Van (G4-42)
    MJQ-18 Trailer (10 KW Power Plant) (G4-T3)
    MKT-85 Trailer as FST (G4-T4)
    MJQ-16 Trailer as Contact Maintenenance Body frame (G4-T5)
    M105 Tan trailer
    MJQ-18 Trailer as a bunk house under construction (G4-T2)
    M-149 Water Buffalo (G4-T6)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spentshell View Post
    Do it on the Transcontinental Convoy the Army did back in the day
    I bet not to many non-MV people ever learned that one and if you love MV's it would be easy for you
    I like this idea too. Especially since the Military Vehicle Preservation Association is preparing a re-creation of the US Army Transportation Corps 1919 convoy from Washington, D.C. to Lincoln Park in San Francisco. The convoy will depart June 13th, 2009 with the arrival in San Francisco timed for participation in their 4th of July parade.

Regards,
    Rick

Thanks

heres an interesting thing: back in ww2 a japanese soldier by the name of Hiroo Onoda and his group of guerrilla soldiers were stationed in the phillipines, and didnt get the message that the war was over, and he and his men (i think all of them died except him in the end, but im not sure) kept fighting for about a whole of 30 some odd years. cool stuff. hes got a book, and as far as i know, still living. the book is called no surrender- my 30 year war.
    powdered water- the best water you can get. just add water!

Thanks

You could do it on the Battle of Athens, TN:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens_(1946)

Thanks

Hope I'm not too late with a suggestion. The Alaska Highway was built during WW-II. It's a great story and you should be able to find some good A/V aids for it online.
    "There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action."

MVPA Life
    NRA Benefactor
    Law Enforcement Alliance Life

1956 Int'l M-62
    1977 Kaiser M-292
    1978 Sutphen TS100 Tower (fire) truck (not OD but tons of fun and the tallest deer stand in the state)

Thanks

thanks alot guys!! I'll let you guys know what I decide to do it on, have not made up my mind yet, even though the outline is due tomorrow. It's going to be a longgg night. Oh the beauty of work done from 11pm-4am

Thanks

"Stateside security during WW2 isn't often touched, on other than the usual stuff about wartime rationing and the various slogans that were in use at the time; "Loose lips sink ships" and "Is this trip really necessary?" having to do with fuel and rubber conservation are just a couple."
    Very interesting. If you google search McGuffin, Humboldt and World War, you should find some research I did on this issue when I was in college.

Most people don't think the U.S. Mainland (lower 48 ) was ever attacked during WWII, but the [Japanese] sent over high altitude balloon bombs in an effort to strike fear into Americans. Several caused some small forest fires, and many fell and did not detonate. I don't remember if there were any injuries or casualties as a result, but I want to say there were not any casualties.
    There actually were casualties. A church group was out in the Siskiyou National Forest, if I remember. One of the boys found one of the parachutes, the group leader went over to check it out, they pulled around on it, and it blew up and killed one and injured others (I am going off of memory here).

The other thing is that the Japanese had submarines that patrolled the US coastline. Some of the subs had planes inside that could be launched from the hull. One of these firebombed the national forest, but it didn't start a fire as had been hoped.

Additionally, the US Navy had blimp duty sailors on the coast. One blimp station was out of Eureka, CA, and one of the blimp sailors, Cy Beatty (who had already seen extensive action on ship in the South Pacific), and I had a great number of conversations. We both believe that his crew sunk a sub that had been coming ashore some nights and coming up to charge batteries. If so, it is still there, right off the head of Trinidad, just north of Arcata, CA. Apparently, there is a large chunk of magnetic something down there so it could be there.

Anyhew ....
    “You can’t disobey the rules every time you disapprove. However, when you’re considering something that constitutes an extreme abridgment of your rights, conscience is the last resort."
    Mario Savio on civil disobedience

----

Andrew McGuffin
    Raleigh, NC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast