• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting a 12v starter to 24v

81K30DRW

I just got my M1008 and the guy I got it from did not have the original 24v starter but gave me a brand new delco 12v gear reduction starter. I am wondering if I can convert it to 24v. I talked to two different electric shops one said it was just a matter of changing the solenoid and the other said everything had to be changed. Has anyone every changed a 12v starter to 24v. I want to keep the truck 24v. Thanks for the help.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can modify your trucks wiring to use your new 12V starter. I would suggest it is not worth it, when you can get the correct 24v starter and change nothing(other than the starter, since it's bad now?).

Some here have said they have used 12V starters with no modifications. I do not know how well that works(long term).

Last edited:

81K30DRW

I know about converting the truck. I want to know if I can turn a 12v starter into a 24v starter without spending $200 It cost for a 24v delco gear reduction.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, you will need to replace the field windings, armature and the bendix drive solenoid. Probably cheaper to buy the correct starter.

Last edited:
I'd call a 12V starter in a 24V system an 'emergency capability' at best. I ran that way after I bought a new starter from CarQuest. Despite assurances that it would work, it was never ideal. It spun much faster than it should have, which was great some of the time, but more than half the time it seemed to fail to engage the flex plate teeth. Later when replacing the flex plate, I found some teeth broken off and other places where they'd been chewed up.

OD Iron has the 24V starters, you can find them on eBay, and NAPA has them, but not in the computer, I think it's in the 'Heavy Equipment' paper catalog or somesuch.

If you don't want to spend the $$$ for a new 24V one, converting to 12V starting is realtively easy and reversible later. As a bonus, you can actually jump start your CUCV! This comes in handy when you leave your lights on... all night... ten miles from a paved road... don't ask :oops:

goldneagle

I know about converting the truck. I want to know if I can turn a 12v starter into a 24v starter without spending $200 It cost for a 24v delco gear reduction.
Why don't you just sell the 12 volt starter on Ebay and that way you don't have to spend the entire $200 for the 24 volt out of pocket!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure there are some on ebay for less than $200

m38inmaine

The 24v gear reduction starters are on ebay for $129.00, make sure you also get the correct support bracket as it is different for the gear reduction starter. I just bought one for my M1009 and it works great, also lighter and smaller, easier to get back in.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M38, did the original starter bolts work with the gear reduction starter?

acmunro

I've switched between std and gear reduction starters before and used the same mounting bolts. Would be best to have new ones. The only differences I found was the support bracket and the battery cable stud is slightly larger.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks