• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spinner II Centrifugal Oil Bypass Filter

JDToumanian

Hi Group,
I finally got one! A Spinner II Oil Cleaning Centrifuge...

This is a bypass oil filter, which uses the engine's oil pressure to spin a centrifuge at up to 8,000 rpm to clean the oil. It processes 1 gallon per minute at 60 psi. It will remove particles smaller than .01 micron, spinning even soot out of the oil and keeping it a nice clean amber color for the life of the oil. It is automatically bypassed if the oil pressure is less than 20 psi, and has a compressed air powered float level control... If the oil is not gravity draining fast enough, the float rises and allows a little bit of compressed air to blow the oil back out of the Spinner's drain to the pan. For the centrifuge to work properly, there needs to be some air space below the turbine.

Here's the company's site: Spinner II® Products : High-efficiency lube oil filtration for heavy-duty diesel engines.

As you can see by the Mule TM shown for size reference, this thing is BIG. Over 13" tall and over 6" around. It has to be mounted vertically, above the level of the oil in the pan for gravity draining. To avoid vibration and noise, it should not be mounted to the cab or other sheet metal. In a deuce, mounting down on the frame is out because it would not drain to the pan properly. But when I offered this thing up to my deuce's engine compartment, I swear the whole truck shrank to the size of a compact pickup! There's just not much room for something this big in there... I have the heater kit in my deuce, and that combined with the steering column and injection pump makes for no room on the driver's side. On the passenger's side, the only good spot is where the horns are mounted. I am moving the horns back below the air cleaner housing, and the Spinner will be mounted there on a stout bracket 10" tall (being welded up out of 3/8 steel plate) bolted to the top of the frame.

I'm going to power it from the "oil sampling port" on the oil cooler housing, which is post-filter and cooler. It will drain directly into the pan through a bulkhead fitting I am going to install in the side. I got the hoses and fittings today, and the bracket is almost done.

I'll post pics here of the install process, and later of the results.

Regards,
Jon

Attachments

Sumoman

Thats a great product if it works as stated. Cannot wait to see how you mount it... Hmmmmm that did not sound right:doh:

So:

how much did it cost?
How could we adapt it for use in cleaning WMO for our fuel

Last edited:

Lonesome715

I am interested ot now how long the life of the oil will be extended. I am also interested to know the applications. I did not see anything on their web site for multifuel, 5.9 Cummins, or Powerstroke engines. Those are the engines I run so I would like to see if they woul work with them.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting, Jon! It says something for bypass filters in general. 0.01 microns Wow!!! The one I have installed only cleans to 5 microns......, that would be good for the fuel system also....

bottleworks

Those work great. I have seen one rotor pulled out a bus with about 1/4" of sludge/soot captured. Detroit Diesel 50 series...Dirty engine. I also use a Spinner II for my UMO filtering. Also works great for that. Good Luck!

stampy

I currently use a centrifuge for cleaning WVO for fuel. Mine is a simple centrifuge 110v and it works great. My only concern was having something else being powered by the oil pump. Please let us know how you like it.:-D

JDToumanian

I am interested to know how long the life of the oil will be extended. I am also interested to know the applications. I did not see anything on their web site for multifuel, 5.9 Cummins, or Powerstroke engines.
I talked to T.F. Hudgins / Spinner II Tech Support about which model for the Multifuel, and they recommended the Model 36 SE (same as the newer Model 936, both are 1gpm @ 60psi). For a bigger engine like the Cummins in the 5-tons or my Detroit Diesel 6-71N, you would use the bigger Model 960, which is 2gpm.

On their website, click on "industrial" instead of "trucking", and check out the Model 25. That's the one that I've seen used most on smaller engines like Mercedes cars and pickup truck sized engines. It works the same, it's just smaller and has a lower flow rate... perfect for those smaller displacement engines.

I think in the testimonial pages of their site, there are truckers who have gone hundreds of thousands of miles without an oil change, only testing the oil. I still plan to change my oil about every-other year, but it will stay cleaner and protect the engine better in that time.

How much is this thing?????
They're not cheap... $600-$700 for the deuce sized models (36 SE / 936). I lucked out and paid $225 for mine on eBay, brand new (old stock, as the newer model is the 936). I had been watching for over a year. They don't come up there every day!

Regards,
Jon

Last edited:

JDToumanian

Hi Group,
I finally finished installing the Spinner II and had a chance to do a test drive... It definitely works, when I shut down the engine I can hear the centrifuge spin down. It sounds like a big electric motor slowing down.

I'll update this thread when I have some idea of how well the Spinner II is working, and when I service it so you can see how much sludge it has removed, but it will probably be a while since I'm starting out with clean oil and filters. It would have been fun to put it on with the dirty oil in the engine to see how well it cleans it up, but since I had to drop the pan I went ahead and did an oil change.

Here's some pics of my installation...

1 - Shows where I mounted the Spinner II on the frame and moved the horn back about 2 feet. The bracket I made from 3/8" thick steel is shown in the first post, it's base is 2" x 6" and it's 10" tall, with a gusset in the back for rigidity.

2 - You can see where I tapped into the oil sampling port, and the oil supply hose is routed next to the heater hoses.

3 - The drain line from the bottom of the Spinner II goes to a bulkhead fitting I put in the side of the pan. The bulkhead fitting is sealed with a copper washer, aviation sealer inside and out, and red loctite on the threads so it will not come loose when attaching or removing the hose. The most tedious thing I've done in a long time was scrape the old oil pan gasket off the bottom of the engine. My arms are still sore!

4 - A close-up of where I tapped into the horn fitting for the Spinner II's air supply.

5 - A view of the completed installation.

Regards,
Jon

Attachments

Massm35a2

Nice, but the only thing I am not sure about is taking oil from the pressurized system. Oil going to this filter is oil that could be going to the bearings. Have you noticed a decrease in pressure?

JDToumanian

Interesting, Bjorn... Your unused dipstick port is plugged with a square drive plug. Mine was an Allen type, and it rounded out when I tried to remove it... I had originally intended to use that and not drill the pan.

JDToumanian

Nice, but the only thing I am not sure about is taking oil from the pressurized system. Oil going to this filter is oil that could be going to the bearings. Have you noticed a decrease in pressure?
No, there's no noticeable decrease in pressure, my truck is the same as before - 70 psi cold and at speed, 30 psi hot idle. The Spinner II unit only flows 1 gpm at 60 psi. Below 20 psi, the unit automatically shuts down, so at hot idle there is no worry about lack of oil pressure. The Multifuel's oil pump puts out way more oil than the engine needs...... That's what the pressure regulator at the end of the oil gallery is for. I figure there's just 1 gpm less flowing needlessly back to the pan from the regulator.

Jon

Last edited:

wdbtchr

I recently found a site with a welding rod made to remove broken bolts or plugs from cast iron. This was on an old tractor site. I've been thinking of trying it on some of my projects:Handbook - Metal Removal Electrodes

Anyone seen, heard of, or tried it'

I been thinking about getting one of those centrifuge filters for my wmo, but money is the big factor, ain't got enough. What the lowest price anyone's seen one for apart from Epay? I'd love to have one, but I'd rather have the gin pole setup first, Momma says one or the other and I have more need for lifting than oil filtering. I can keep using my portable oil pump/filter until I'm rich and famous.:roll:

Attachments

nk14zp

I recently found a site with a welding rod made to remove broken bolts or plugs from cast iron. This was on an old tractor site. I've been thinking of trying it on some of my projects:Handbook - Metal Removal Electrodes

Anyone seen, heard of, or tried it'

I been thinking about getting one of those centrifuge filters for my wmo, but money is the big factor, ain't got enough. What the lowest price anyone's seen one for apart from Epay? I'd love to have one, but I'd rather have the gin pole setup first, Momma says one or the other and I have more need for lifting than oil filtering. I can keep using my portable oil pump/filter until I'm rich and famous.:roll:
na i use 7018

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks