• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front lockout hubs or rear lockout and axle

recon

I have an m35a2 wo/w. Anyone have an opinion on which would be the better way to go - lockout hubs on the front or lockout hub and axle change in the rear?
I have tried removing the rearmost drive shaft and it improves the steering but it is a pain to take off and put back on. Would having a winch on the Deuce change the choice?
Recon

Last edited by a moderator:

jwaller

if you want slightly better milage put them on the front
if you want slightly better turning and tire wear put 1 on the forward tandum.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or do both! If you want a price on 3 lockouts and 1 double splined shaft for the rear shoot me a PM.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if you want slightly better milage put them on the front
if you want slightly better turning and tire wear put 1 on the forward tandum.
Why not pull both axles on the forward tandem?? Or put lockouts on both sides?

KaiserPower

Just got a set from jatonka a few weeks ago. Very nice units... they look a lot nicer then I thought they would and help with the steering and I'm hoping for a few more mpg also... Haven't done any long hauls lately to verify. Jatonka (John) is great to do business with and his product is everything he claims.

Attachments

dabtl

I put the AVM lockouts from jatonka on the front and forward rear axle. I got an axle from Off Road Fab Works, I know I was a lucky one, that works just fine.

Sturdy lockouts which have produced no problems for more than a year. I will buy another set for the second deuce next month.

MikeON

Why not pull both axles on the forward tandem?? Or put lockouts on both sides?
This was discussed at some length last year. Here is some text copied and pasted from that thread:
With either one or two lockouts on an axle, the differential carrier and ring and pinion will still be turning because they are geared to the driveshaft. Same as with no lockout.

With one lockout disengaged, the axle shafts will be turning at the same speed except for small differences caused by turning or tire diameter differences. The benefit compared to no lockout is that it eliminates stress on the components caused by that small difference in speed, as well as reducing turning radius. The differential spider gears will be turning very slightly to accomodate the axle shaft speed difference.

With two lockouts on the same axle, the axle shafts will still be turning because they are connected via the spider gears to the turning carrier. You might have both axle shafts turning about the same speed, or one shaft stationary with the other turning double speed, or something in between, depending on the difference in frictional drag on the axle shafts. Kind of like when you brake one rear farm tractor wheel and the other speeds up. So you could end up with a lot of motion of the spider gears that you wouldn't have with just one lockout.

Two lockouts on the front axle help if you have air shift, because you can disengage the driveshaft and the gears then don't turn at all.

joeypushjr1

ok im offically lost . ok i understand doing the front just like a pickup truck .. but you start talking about on tandum and disconnection this that.. im lost are you talking about putting a lock out on one axel or just on one side of an axel please at like im a child and dont use tecknacal terms ....lol :lost:

Jake0147

Yes, the rear axles only get one single lockout hub. You can not "stop" the components from turning, so there's no benefit there. Unlocking one hub on one side of either rear axle stops both wheels from propelling the vehicle forward. So everything in the axle "idles" along under no load when not needed. It prevents unnecessary wear on both axles by keeping the driveline from "winding up", and you may have experienced that winding up phnominon before, that you get when you try to drive a pickup on dry roads in four wheel drive, where it just feels like the whole truck is glued to that spot in the road and it doesn't really want to move. Sometimes in corners it even hops and bounces. Windup between the two rears doesn't get that bad, but it still causes unneded drag.

Alex400

the duck boats they have in seattle have the toploader rockwell axles and they removed the driveshaft on the rear most axle. they actually removed the third member and capped it. but could you not just remove the drive shaft from the middle axle to the rear to help gain some turning radius?

joeypushjr1

ok i think i got it say you use the rear axel for your lock out . you only need to put the lock out on say the driver side of the rear axel and thatll disengage that axel completly from driving. untill you lock it again......it so i get it.. that make tota sence now that i think about it

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my opinion that's correct. Just remember you need an aftermarket double splined shaft for that rear with the lockout because a stock shaft can't be used with a lockout. PM me for a price if interested in a total package or just a component or two.

jwaller

so the conclusion..........

The best way to go is two lockouts on the front axle and one on the forward tandem? right?
YES, if you have the $$$. if not my suggestion would be to start with the 1 on the forward tandem axle.

I also prefer the drivers side bc if you need it you don't have to walk to the other side to engage it.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks