• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

French Camp inspection

wsucougarx

Hello fellow SS, I was wondering if anyone was going to be at French Camp, CA anytime this week? I am wanting a couple trucks looked at and inspected. I cannot say which trucks so if you are available please PM me for specifics please. Thank you in advace.:-D

wsucougarx

I read MilitaryRestoration's thread on his nightmare pickup there. Can anyone else share their experiences there? Good or bad? thanks in advance

Dieselsmoke

I have already previewed all the trucks at Sharpe, except for the 109s I will be checking those out this week.
I can tell you, the other trucks that are there, the descriptions and photos are quite 'lacking' to say the least.
The 1009 listed.....the whole top edge along the windshield is rotted out (you can stick your head through the holes!) and that's not shown in the photos or listed in the description. I tried to slave start it and the starter would engage but the motor would not turn over.
The wrecker is missing a lot of the engine (which is siezed), the PTO and hydraulic pump are laying in the bed and many of the hydraulic lines are missing as well.
Don't know how well it will go over me posting those details, but I figured everyone should know the kind of crap they are trying to pull over there.
I've never had trouble there with any loadouts...except for the M1028 that someone switched lot numbers on:evil:

Tony, did you get your deuce home yet??

foothill4play

Tony, did you get your deuce home yet??[/quote]

No, still working on it, looks like I gotta pay some trucker 500 bucks to go get it(unless some one on the site wants to do it, rather give the money to a fellow MVer)(see post in transportation needs)....The truck scale there, is a real bear to get around, or so my friends who drive grocery trucks are telling me.. Maybe I should steal one of their quick passes so I could blow by the scale...j/k....

After all I dont have a commercial license so they would stop me on the spot...

I wish I would have known you were checking out the trucks, I would of loved to hitch a ride and learned some more.....plus, I think the fever is setting in, mine is tan, but ...I like a green one now....

I think I hear the wife loading the gun now...haha

Last edited:

Dieselsmoke

Cordelia scales....my dad had a Pete he was driving chained to a light pole there until repair were made. That was back in the '60s.
Blow right past them. They'll see a military truck and completely ignore you. Plenty drive by there daily from Travis, etc. The license thing, that's a different story. Wish I could help but my schedule is pretty packed right now.

wsucougarx

Ok so military trucks are ignored. I guess I had better not wear a hot pink shirt or anything too civy. I'll be sure to bring my cammies:-D Hmm, Navy uniform driving an Army truck.

wsucougarx

Yah, at least I know military trucks are ignored in WA and OR. An ORNG soldier told me he had a bunch of trailers on a civilian truck w/a flatbed trailer. The tractor was a standard white International Harvester civilian truck. On the door it did say Oregon National Guard. He told me a Washington State Patrol Cruiser gave chase when they noticed he had blown past the scales. Anyways the cruiser got up to the level of the truck, made eye contact with the soldier and waved to him and turned around. In fact he told me that if indeed they were driving legally within the speed limits and was chased by a cruiser with their lights on they didn't have to stop:-D.

foothill4play

very tempting....I might have to invest in some updated CaMo....lol ...
I got all the tools ready, and decided that I was just gonna take the truck down, swap the tools, and Call AAA and have them tow my f350 home...then the scales came up, and I just got nervous...

MilitaryRestoration

eww you guys are gutsy... running the scales is defin not a thing to do.... Bet you'll be pissed if they catch you and you dont have your license period for sometime after... A little bit of testing and reading makes you legal. It's not that hard, dont know why everyone is so scared of it. By the way, caution on blowing them in a military vehicle as well, as they are starting to have military trucks enter the scales as a precaution because they have been finding civy's in military trucks, hence most of us, blowing the scales. So now they are in the motion to have all military trucks enter scales regardless... just fyi and 2cents...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks