• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ouverson Lockout Hubs Problem

Junglemist

I was down in a sand pit this morning getting a load of sand and I went to lock my front hubs to put it in 6WD. When I turned the hubs the right hub did not stop at the "Lock" position. I could feel the correct position though and engaged the front axle and drove out of the pit. I remember that the last couple of times I have locked the hubs the right one has been a little stiff. I have the Ouverson Engineering hubs. Has anyone experienced this before? What are the probable causes? Thanks.

dabtl

To my knowledge this is the first post involving a failure of either the Ouverson units or the jatonka supplied AVM lock out hubs.

Keep us posted on the repair/fix/problem as you go along.

Post Scrip: Actually, sermis reported destroying his Ouverson hub on a highway barrier, but that was not equipment failure.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give Randy a call, he'll help you out. I've got them on a deuce and had them on my mud truck, 725 HP with 57" tractor tires with no issues. Your problem is probably something minor.

Junglemist

Disassembly of Hub

I removed the Ouverson lockout hub from my truck this morning. I undid the 8 bolts and pulled it off the axle spline. When I did I saw that the inside nut was laying loose inside the hub.
022.jpg

When I called Ouverson Engineering and spoke with Randy he said that he thought this was the third time someone had reported this issue. He said what happened was that the spring loaded ball that goes into the detent on the outside of the hub had too much grease or was somehow not pressing into the detent correctly. Because of that when I went to lock the hub it did not stop. So when I continued another rotation the nut fell off inside.

Randy over the phone described the steps to resolve the issue.

1. I removed the 8 small hex-head bolts on the inside ring. Since the nut had fallen off inside the end was under pressure from the spring.
025.jpg 026.jpg

2. I lifted off the plate, spring and star-shaped piece that holds the nut.
040.jpg 028.jpg

3. I removed the knob from the retaining ring (making sure to not lose the spring and metal ball). Both detents were packed with grease that had migrated from the inside of the hub.
029.jpg

dabtl

A really minor problem it appears. I would not call this a failure, frankly. Just either some fine tuning or I think you mentioned another spring being a replacement.

Good news.

Junglemist

Reassembly of Hub

I cleaned the excess grease off of the hub parts. and began reassembly.

036.jpg 034.jpg

1. I placed the spring over the stud with the star-shaped piece on top of it. I tightened the nut and compressed the spring all the way against the plate.

037.jpg

2. I positioned the spring and ball back in the seat in the retaining ring.

033.jpg

3. The plate was placed back in the retaining ring. With the knob set on "Free".

044.jpg

4. Then the whole end assembly was positioned back in the hub housing. I indexed the star between the spline grooves until the bolt holes lined up.

5. I tightened all the bolts and checked that the knob would correctly rotate and that the inside spline would rotate freely when on "Free".

047.jpg

6. I put it back on the truck and it functions perfectly!

dabtl

Great report and pics. Glad it all worked out for you. If anyone else has the problem, search will solve it in the future.

Junglemist

A really minor problem it appears. I would not call this a failure, frankly. Just either some fine tuning or I think you mentioned another spring being a replacement.

Good news.
The inside was just dirty and packed with grease, nothing was damaged in any way. I did not put as much grease in it this time! At some point I will clean the other hub and remove excess grease.

I have driven the truck through some really nasty stuff and the hubs have worked very well.

The Deuce is my only vehicle right now and when driving in small Central American towns the hubs are definitely worth the money.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, put to much grease inside any hub and you are asking for trouble.
It also seems as if you have water entering the hub, probably from a bad boot.... ??? but I might be wrong...:roll:

G.

IHASFIP

Thats cool that there is such a diverse group of members amongst this board. From all over the world it seems. Thanks for the information, I am sure it will help someone out in the future.

D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks