• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv fording and frame rust

greensix

I have talked with various companies that rehab hmmwvs. They say the hmmwvs that do alot of fording especially in salt water developed frame rust from the insde out. In some cases requiring frame replacement. Due to lack of drain holes in lower frame section. Has anyone came across this or heard of it. What are thoughts on drilling hole in lower frame section.

Jetnoise400

Yes, this is a very common problem. The front of the frame rails are open, and when the humvee is run down the ramp off a ship into the sea, those open rails scoop up the water, and since the back of the rails are closed, it just pools up in the low spots and eats away the frame.

I have heard of folks putting a drain hole or two in the frame, but personally I'm a bit hesitant to start drilling into my frame. I do know of some that put that expanding foam stuff into the front of their frame rails to close up the hole so water can't get in.

Hope that helps.

TedG

The early frame rails are like what Sean stated. Later ones have atleast two .5" holes drill in them. If one drills in the bottom of the rail, just make sure you seal up the raw metal with something so it does not rust. I have seen rails that are FULL of damp sand and they even had those two holes.

Replacing a frame is work but it is doable. New rails cost around $800-$1000 maybe less if you look around.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks