• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Frame?

3dubs

my M1009 has a bent frame. I had one guy look at pictures. He said there was too much rust. I am going to have a shop actually look at it and see. I think the rust is just surface. But I was just trying to see if I could locate a frame in TX, LA, or OK. replacing the frame may be more work but if it saves some money I may do it. If you have a frame let me know a price. If you have replaced a frame how many bad words will it take? It has a good body. I will rebuild the engine and trans. I may just buy another M1009 and part this one out.

Crash_AF

I have a straight, rust free frame under my parts 1009 up here in CO that I would let go reasonably. Replacing the body isn't too hard, but is time consuming and a pain because of the size of the parts involved. Drop me an E-mail to jhinson0(*that's a zero*) at comcast dot net because my PM box is full.

Later,
Joe

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think you'd be better off just getting another whole truck and using the one with the bent frame for parts.

sermis

You are not that far from Temple. I have a frame I just pulled from under a M1009. I am going to take it to scrap. Case of beverage and it is yours.

MILRET45

If the one from Sermis doesn't pan out, I also have one, a roller, down near Cuero that can be hauled back to Houston. I would need to pull the axles since I want to keep them. Would need some consideration for the labor and back haul.

IHASFIP

Don't think you'll get one for cheaper than a case of beer. 20 bones and it is yours. Can't beat that. :)

3dubs

So what is the best way to lift the body off the frame without damage? I was told it would be too hard because I would have to build two A frames. But it is in a feild now. I was thinking about removing the front grill put steel bars under it, diconnect stuff, raise the body a few inches and roll the frame forward. Then block up the frame and put the axels on the new frame, use an engine lift or tactor to pick up the engine and tans and put them on the new frame. Then roll the new frame under the body and drop id back down with new body bushings.

Is it harder than I think? :?: I am hearing it is harder from a guy that would let me pay him two grand to do the work. I already do not trust his judgement but sometimes he is right.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can do the body with some blocks or cribbing, 2 long (12") 4x4s and bottle or even bumper jacks. It's alot of work but not overly difficult. Do you have the time? Won't cost much money at all with the frame costing a case. I'd make that deal now before the sin tax on a beer pushes the case price to $50 like smokes. So much for freedom!

papercu

If the one from Sermis doesn't pan out, I also have one, a roller, down near Cuero that can be hauled back to Houston. I would need to pull the axles since I want to keep them. Would need some consideration for the labor and back haul.
Why don't you two just swap frames and axles. You both get what you need and save pulling axles. Wayne

3dubs

I am going to grab the frame from sermis. If someone has a shop around Houston that has a hoist to lift that would be great. If not I will figure something out to do it right in the field.

kennyw

I have always used a pair of stand alone camper jacks for lifting pickup beds when I am by myself. They should not be hard to find. If you get 4 of the self standing tripod jacks you could put one at each corner and lift the body up safely.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many ways to accomplish this. Creative thinking is your friend. Here's a shot of the body from my 887 removed by Papercu. As it stands the body was pulled from the truck, sat on another truck, pulled from that truck and put back on the original truck. I assisted in the latter 2 moves. Wayne and I accomplished this in a couple of hours with blocks, 12' 4x4s and 2 bumper jacks. Bumper jacks when used wisely are your friend. The body is destined for one more move, onto a CUCV chassis when a decent 1008 or 1028 comes along!

Attachments

3dubs

I was thinking four highlift jacks and set the body on four used 55gal drums. Then I can let that idiot that wanted two grand to swap the frames tell me how I did it wrong. :roll: I call the job done without going broke a job well done. That idiot messed up a jeep I used to have when I let him work on it. I can mess things up myself and I do not charge myself much. I prefer to work on it in my dad's field. He has a fridge with a tap in the door on the porch so I do not have to worry about having enough beer to get the job done. It makes getting help easier too.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
OK, so now I'm having an internal debate about selling my CUCV wreck and using the body from the firewall back on the vehicle that was my parts vehicle. Maybe even do a frame up rebuild. My concern is time and tools. I have a move to Atlanta coming up and would have to drag both vehicles south since I only have a few weeks left here.

What kind of hours are we talking about to pull and swap the body from two stripped trucks. The front clip is still on the parts truck but off of the wreck. Engine is still in the parts truck but off of the wreck.

sermis

It took me about 3 to 4 hours to pull the body from the frame. That was by myself and I did not get in a hurry.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks