• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1 day, 1 M880 & 986 miles

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like the title says 1 day, 1 M880 & 986 miles

Took the M880 & 18ft car hauler a on a little recovery mission.
Left home @ 01:30 Tuesday went and picked up a dozen rebuilt M880 axles (6 sets) [thumbzup]
Returned home at 22:04 Tuesday

Exhuast pipe separated at the "Y" pipe within 5 minutes of departure, temp fix - put the ear plugs in. after day break, I rigged it at a gas stop, didn't last long.
a couple hours later & a rough section of road - it bounced back in place!
It did this a couple times on the trip and would stay until we'd stop then fall off upon take off.

Float stuck twice on the way home, of course running 60-65 with 5k + on the hitch, you don't know the float stuck until you stop.

Right front brake caliper apparently stuck and over heated the rotor, something you don't really notice until you hit the brakes and you make a sudden left turn.
for the return ride I upped the trailer brake setting which helped. ( although I probably will have to replace the trailers brakes now too)

Gas card people fiqured something was wrong, what with multiple gas purchases in 3 states followed by a large purchase, since I didn't answer my home phone when they called, they shut my card down???????? That validated my reason for always carrying more than one credit card (and cash).

15 minutes into the trip I remembered that my camera was still on the table at home.

I did have a co-pilot but this trip I did all the driving & wrenching.

Lesson learned - M880 seats are not very comfy on those long trips.
Found myself improvising lumbar support on the way home.

m880 unimog

Thats a good trip,only a dodge could fix it,s own exhaust system back together without getting out the cab.those old bench seats are back killer on longer trips.

i need to find another cab for my 884.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks