• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy from the Arizona Desert

sharpshooter08

Hi everyone!

I have had a chance to browse over this great site over the last few days and soak up a lot of very valuable information provided by it members. I must also point out the one thing I like about this forum already is the maturaity and respect to help out a new guy and not flame him to death because he wasnt raised under the hood of a vehicle or born with natural genius to know every detail about a particular truck or car, like most inter user seem to possess on other forums:roll:.

I recently came across the m35 duece about a week ago and was truly impressed by the price you can pick them up at and the ruggedness of the vehicle itself. I really like the cheap 4x4 concept or should I say 6x6. I had a hard time looking at buying a 30k truck investing another 10-15k for off road duty and be worried about scratching the paint. Well the duece has solved that problem for me and Im glad it did as I enjoy camping a few time a year and this vehicle is perfect for the job.

I have not picked up a duece yet but looking to pick one up in the next year so I have plenty of time to do my homework before I do. I also found that more questins arise when you have the item in hand, so I will ask a few questions that are off the top of my head now.

I must apologize up front about some of the questions I will be asking as I have tried the search fuction but have had no luck at finding some specified info. With that being said I know someone here be pulling the posts up from the search about my questions, so be gentle:oops:.

I am curious as to what years the multi-fuel engine was made?? and is the multi-fuel pretty much the A2 varient?

Ive noticed a lot of duece owners that have the Kaiser-Jeep model from 1968-1971 are these the years I should be looking in? I am intersted in picking newer year but understand the price goes up with that. I am looking to stay under $5,000 for budget.

Is a duece with low mileage something to be looking as well as low hours? And what does the hours mean?

I am looking to find one out here on the west cost is there any recomended place to go for that? I have not found anything in AZ except for the guy that just picked one up fro $1800. But that one is in to bad of a shape for me to look at yet.

I would like to get on in tan to go with my surrondings, but I am finding that hard to come byaua. It seems like for every 25 grean ones I find a tan one, but its not in good condition. So far I have only seen 2 tan ones in really good shape but they are owned by members of this site.

What multifuel engines produced the most horsepower, cause I seem to hear 120-210hp. I would like to pick one with high horsepower and of corse a whistler and turbo.

I also really like these super single stacks a member had on his former duece. I like the beefy look of them and si there any modding I need to do for these tires and where can I get them. Is there an aftermarket store you guys reccomend to look at for these and other items for the duece.

I think that covers all the questions that have been going through my head for the last few days. I know if anymore come up to post up here. And yes when I do get the duece I will be sure to post up pics since thats about the only thing you guys flame on:-D.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
The LDT multifuel replaced the gas engine in the these trucks and is rated at 130-140 hp, unless you get a LDS multi that was meant for a 5 ton, sometimes these engines are installed in a M35 by the Military and private owners. The LDS has more hp than the LDT, 170, I think. . . if I'm wrong someone will correct me. Most of the trucks I have are of the 68-72 year models, but I do have one 88 airforce model that needs some "reassembly" I prefer the look of a Deuce with duals, but some swear by singles, I just like the way the truck looks with 10 tires :-D

When you get ready to buy a truck let me know, I have several that are below your budget.

Welcome to the site!

Ed

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site, lots of great info here. Glad to see another person from AZ.

I am curious as to what years the multi-fuel engine was made?? and is the multi-fuel pretty much the A2 varient?
I want to say that from 1965 onward, the LDT-465 was the most common engine, but someone with more knowledge than I should probably answer that.

Ive noticed a lot of duece owners that have the Kaiser-Jeep model from 1968-1971 are these the years I should be looking in? I am intersted in picking newer year but understand the price goes up with that. I am looking to stay under $5,000 for budget.
To my understanding, the year of manufacture is not really going to matter much unless its a very early model or a very late model. The rest seem to be all about the same. Keep in mind that most of them were rebuilt in the 1980s.

I would like to get on in tan to go with my surrondings, but I am finding that hard to come byaua. It seems like for every 25 grean ones I find a tan one, but its not in good condition. So far I have only seen 2 tan ones in really good shape but they are owned by members of this site.
You can always repaint whatever truck you end up getting.

KaiserM109

Welcome in advance.
FMJ: Thanks for the tire iron in Norman, OK; we got the brakes fixed and got it home safely.

If you can get a truck from an individual who has already gone through the SF-97 headache and titled the truck (any state) you will save yourself a bit of a pain. Also dealing with guys like you will meet on SS is a nicer deal than dealing with GL, although not as exciting.

Watch out for trucks in the age range of '66; they might not be turbo. Mine is not. Kaiser Jeep is what Willys Overland became when Kaiser bought Jeep in '65. AM General is what Jeep became when AM bought Jeep from Kaiser in '70.

I don't think you will have power problems for most civilian use (somebody is going to take exception to that!). Mine is non-turbo and does OK, even at over 5,000 ft. elevation. I'll let you know how it does at 10,000 this summer.

Good luck and good hunting.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

My 2cents:

Horsepower: If you find a way to max out the "stock" engine, please, please please (PLEASE) take pictures and video, cause that is something I **gotta** see.

Color: Paint is cheap, but odds are when you get your deuce, you will get the bite to restore it......

Price/buying: I went the private seller route, but had the SF-97 transferred to me and titled it myself. I have never once regretted going through a private seller.

Again, welcome to the site and feel free to ask questions. If you really want to do your homework, download the TM's and study up on them. They are located in the resources section.

Good luck!

sharpshooter08

Thanks for the replys guys!

Kendelrio I went to the resource section last night to look at the Bjourn articles that everybody has said to look at and nothing comes up for them.

Oh and is that Eastern Surplus any good? I like the super single stack tires and rims they have but it seems like there asking a pretty penny for them, $345 for just one rim? Also how hard is to get a 5ton engine in a deuce? Cause Eastern surplus has one but for $14k Im not wanting to pay that much.

I figured I would go the private dealer route since thats where everybodey is pointing me and it will possible help an SS memebr also.

Last edited:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the resources, look in the tech manual section and download those. And honestly, I know it's going to be your truck, but the stock engines are more than adequate for the trucks. Before I considered an engine swap, I'd check out what you get first. Your cost to benefit ratio may not be worth the time, money and hassle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks