• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad head gasket?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it comming from between the heads? If so, most likely a failed head gasket. Look under the exhaust ports and see if there is a small tab with a groove in it sticking out from the head/ block joint. If so, you have the old style head gaskets. They are prone to oil, coolant and compression leaks. It could also be an injector not seating in the bore. Have you done any work on it lately?

Larch

Yes, it is comming from in between the heads. I have not done any work on it, I got it recently. I thought it was a head gasket, but wanted to see if someone has seen this. thanks for your help, looks like I'll be ordering some head gaskets soon.

rebel_raider

Oh yeah, it's a blown head gasket. Mine had a blown head gasket when I bought it. Blew a pretty good chunk out of it, too. I've still got it somewhere....

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
a blown exhaust manifold gasket sounds similar, but there would be none of that smoke from the stack and no 'miss' in the engine.

pictures of new and old style head gaskets side by side:
Untitled Normal Page

Larch

Thanks for your replies. There is no "miss" in the engine, I think (confirmed by others) what you are hearing is engine compression leaking out between the two heads. It does sound like an exhaust leak.

noazhouse

I have a miss above 1900 Rpm only thing that happened to me is I got water in my fuel I drained it and now I have a sputter and no power when above 1900 rpm ... Any ideas

Larch

I would try some diesel dry or some other kind of addative (diesel kleen, diesel 911) maybe there is still some moisture sttill in the system somewhere. Its worth a try.

noazhouse

I tried that no go ...I took it to a Diesel mechanic and he said he thought I still had air in the lines and probably more water...When I drained my diffuser I got some more water and same when I drained the other 2 filters on the injection pump side so HOPEFULLY by changing all the filters and adding new diesel again it will help...

Do you have any pictures of where I turn up my fuel at...I think I know where everyone is talking about but better ask before I turn something that shouldnt be turned...LOL

Noah

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
about head gaskets. does your block say TD on the front above the alternator? if yes replace gaskets, if no don't waste your time get another engine.

Rattlewagon

about head gaskets. does your block say TD on the front above the alternator? if yes replace gaskets, if no don't waste your time get another engine.
Tom, I apologize if this is common knowledge but, I thought all of the multi blocks where the same??? Why would one need to source a new engine for a popped gasket?

thanks,
dan

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I've heard the same about the TD 'thing' and think it is also in the manual about this. Can't remember what the deal is.

Actual reason I replied is to say, I just replaced my head gasket. I had a army mechanic home on convalescent leave assist (more so directed the activities). Me and another guy turned wrenches. We did the entirejob in 8 hrs. Now that Ive done one, I feel confident I can do another. Biggest issue is to have the U shaped boxed end wrench and the proper torque wrench.

I ordered my gaskets from memphis equip. About 280 dollars.

A forklift to pull the head in one piece would definately help.

Larch

I finally got around to pull the heads off yesterday and it is a blown head gasket(front head, between the two heads). I did have the "old style" head gaskets on it and got the "new style" for replacements.

I do not have a "TD" block. I have a LD that was converted to turbo.

M35 tom says I should look for a new block.
What is the difference between the two? I know TD stands for thick deck, but does anyone know the actual measured difference? How much thicker? What year did the TD blocks showing up, anyone know?

Thanks for your help.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
TD means the area where the threads for the head bolts/studs is thicker so the head bolt torque is quite a bit higher. if you are going to put gaskets on a non TD block at least be sure to have heads resurfaced, no matter how flat you think they are they will need to be perfect to have a better chance of lasting. also if it has been made a turbo engine that reduces its chances of lasting. i have never had to pay more than $500 for a GOOD used engine.
another small thing, many people have a problem with the head bolt wrenches breaking. i think this may be because these nos wrenches are made for the lower torque of a non TD engine.

tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks