• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M103-A3 Gen Set

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try TM 5-2805-259-14 and TM 5-2805-259-24P for the manuals on the 4A084 engine. Also look at TM 5-6115-365-15 for the powerplant manual (trailer/genset combo). The SF-10 MD is the same as the MEP-018A which is a 60 hertz genset. The TM 5-6115-275-14 and TM 5-6115-275-24P manuals are correct. Fred, ask as you go, we can probably get them going. If you don't have them running by Aug, bring them to Cleves and I'll have a looksee at them. Do both trailers have bows?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks cool Fred. If you bring one to Haspin, our foundng father is quite familiar with the smaller MEP-016 gensets. I have a newer M103A3 that I use to haul the shelter. I don't have bows and mine was one of the ones built that doesn't use the front bulkhead. It's been a good trailer and went to Aberdeen last year. For all who care, its a foot longer than the M105 trailer that shares the same chassis. Saturn has just about everything for the gensets except the problematic voltage regulator on the genset side. Depending on which one you have, they can be repaired. Dirty contact points in the magneto is also a common problem in no fire situations. Other than that, pretty decent generators to fool with. Be advised though, at 870# they can be a SOB to move and at 2.4 gallons per hour, better have a good supply of gasoline for extended running.

fredrader

Great,The front bulkhead is removable on these I noticed..I also noticed that they have 8 gas can holders on them and a thing that goes in the gas can with a fuel line on it so it can use the 5gal cans as fuel supply..The engines look kinda like a VW bug engine..I will mess with em soon..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fred, you are right, they do resemble a VW closely. The gensets use the 5 gallon cans as the fuel tank. The trailer originally came with a drum adapter (just like the one for the gas cans) so that you can draw off another fuel source. There's a valve on the frame that allows both to be hooked up at once. With this setup, you can swap fuel supplies without shutting down power. Really state of the art suff in the early 60s when this stuff came out.

ida34

Those engines are copys of aviation 4 cylinder engines. Some folks use them for homebuilt airplanes.

fredrader

Well I finally figured out how to get TM's off the LOGSA Site and I have 4 different ones now to work with..I don't know when I will start on em but at least I have something to read now.. :lol:

fredrader

I am trying to buy elohim1's M725 ambulance and my neighbor offered $500 for the M103A3 trailer with a gen set on it..Any thoughts as to if I should sell it for $500 ??? I need the cash for the ambulance..He isn't into MV's but I think he just wants the Generators..HELP..I would rather see em go to someone who is into MV's but like I said I want the ambulance..Any suggestions

fredrader

I PM'd you back with my email and cell#..I haven't messed with em but I did check the oil in both and it is clean and I turned them both over by hand and they both turned and had compression..One has like 1707hrs and the other has like 0376hrs..The guy that bought em from the DRMO paid $1100 for one and $857 for the other one on 09/12/05..The trailer is a 1966 Johnson Furnace M103-A3 and the GenSet is MED-018A,10KW..FYI

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks