• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 bolt hubs for Deuce

Nonotagain

the wicked 6 are $475 per pair?
The hubs are priced @ $475 EACH not a pair.

My concern is that aluminum might have issues with the side loads generated especially when used with LARGE tires and 150 lb Hemmt wheels.

A friends lifted truck has broken a hub at the flange when using 16.00 X 20 tires while using the truck offroad.

Could it have been an old defective hub, possibly.

wehring

material comp

The factory hubs are cast iron and the new hubs are 6061 aircraft alloy. We use it daily here at NASA.

Without getting into a mathematical debate, I will say that one of my Father's Kenworth trucks has cast alloy hubs...

I believe these hubs to be much stronger than factory.

Justin

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well at 475 per hob its cheaper to buy wheels. In fact I am looking into getting my HEMTT wheels modified locally to fit a deuce. Its gonna be cheaper than 400 a wheel or 475 a hub...This is an expensive hobby when we get into modernizing 40 year old trucks with state of the art wheels, new oil and fuel filtering systems and then we make bobbers.

USMC6062

Another problem with 10 bolt hubs, how do you plan to attach your front drums? The rear won't matter, but unless I'm mistaken the front has a plate held on by the 6 lug studs that allows the drum to bolt on. Maybe it can be modified to work, but maybe not.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Another problem with 10 bolt hubs, how do you plan to attach your front drums? The rear won't matter, but unless I'm mistaken the front has a plate held on by the 6 lug studs that allows the drum to bolt on. Maybe it can be modified to work, but maybe not.
I was wondering about brakes too, but I haven't serviced mine yet (just got all the parts), so I don't know what's going on in there.
from the pics I've seen these hubs would work with the brakes just like the stock hubs

rizzo

My concern is that aluminum might have issues with the side loads generated especially when used with LARGE tires and 150 lb Hemmt wheels.
these hubs are designed to be used in vehicles with 600-800 horsepower, 57-64 inch rice and cain tires and fly though the air. They are quite strong.

here is an example of the types of trucks buying these hubs

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfJsepEptf0[/media]

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
if the hub is full of grease water and dirt cannot get in.
yep, just the first time I had seen that. That should be able to get grease to the inner and outer bearings. makes me think my hubs may get them (zerks) the next time they come off.

6061 aircraft alloy. We use it daily here at NASA.
Justin
He he..."aircraft alloy"

"6061 alloy is an extremely common modern aluminum alloy. It has good strength, it is easily machined, and it resists corrosion. It is also lower cost than most other alloys. Due to these factors it is extremely popular for aftermarket parts used in motorcycles. If you see a part labeled "billet aluminum" or "aircraft aluminum" but the alloy is not specified, then it is safe to assume that it is 6061 alloy. Note that this is misleading as 6061 alloy is generally NOT used for aircraft applications as there are other alloys which have better mechanical properties. Despite this, many people will call 6061 "aircraft aluminum" anyway. We use 6061 Alloy only for low-stress parts where unusual strength is not required, such as spacers and license plate brackets. However, many companies do use 6061 for high-stress parts simply because it is inexpensive, easy to machine, and it also lets them put the "aircraft aluminum" name on their parts—even though 6061 is not a high performance alloy at all."

Numbers

Depends if it is 6061-T6 or 6061-O alloy. One has 18,000 psi tensile strength and the other has 42,000 psi tensile strength. Yes, there is a T4 also at 30,000.

7075-T651 goes to 78,000 psi but there is a 7075-0 that only has 40,000 which in this case is not better than the 6061-T6. Note: the M16 utilized 7075 in its construction.

By comparison (if I am not reading this wrong) cast iron has a tensile strength of 25,000 psi (cast grey/white) all the way to 135,000 psi (nodular iron ASTM A339).

The real question is what is the material used in the factory hubs?

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In fact I am looking into getting my HEMTT wheels modified locally to fit a deuce. Its gonna be cheaper than 400 a wheel or 475 a hub...
Quick newb questions: When you modify the HEMTT wheels to fit the deuce hubs, do you modify the offset in addition to changing out the hole pattern or do they come out perfect for wider tires filling out the fenders?

And I imagine you have to reverse the rear hubs, is that right?

Thanks,

Rick

avengeusa

Quick newb questions: When you modify the HEMTT wheels to fit the deuce hubs, do you modify the offset in addition to changing out the hole pattern or do they come out perfect for wider tires filling out the fenders?

And I imagine you have to reverse the rear hubs, is that right?

Thanks,

Rick
I machine out the centers, make a plate, bolt and weld it in

o do them 2 ways, offset for the front works out great, flip the wheels for the rear, or flip the hubs and use the same setup in the front on all wheels

i gotta get pics of mine up.....

i will be making the plates and can get you some if you have a way of cutting out the centers

Jakob

Center plates would be awesome. I can cut the wheels at work, but I don't have a way to make plates. We also have a nice welder (that I know how to use well) that I can use too.

GoHot229

JesusGatos, a member of he SS forum, Was toying with the idea of CNC'ing some adapter plates for the deuce specifically. It would cancel out the hubs. I'm wholey for your hubs, don't get me wrong, but Aliminum ??? for a material is indeed suspect from a integrity standpoint. I suspect that the hubs if ever made from aluminum would have been forged rather than billit stock. Seems that you would have to sleeve the bearing race areas as well as the fact of electrolisis with the steel studs. However, who ever is the first with adapter plates will make a home-run with the Deuce crowd, That is, provided that the price verces custom wheel prices is scaled acordingly. $475.00 +/- per wheel would be the point of decision.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My cheapness says the math matters:

To change the hub = $475 for the hub + $75 for the wheel = $550 per corner
To modify the wheel center = $75 plus material and my labor per corner

I don't need to look at or have to twist off 10 lug nuts when 6 will do, nor do I think there's any advantage to having 4 more of them, so I think the sole advantage is ease of installation and quickness of install.

I think these aluminum hubs are for the people who are ready to spend more for faster gratification. Or..... if you have a HEMTT and a deuce, the interchangeability may matter.

Just being public with my Scotch nature...

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks