• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M332 Ammo Trailer - Before & After Pics

KaiserM109

Can you tell me what you plan to use that trailer for?

I was in the artillery in '68 - '69 and I never saw a trailer like that; when did they come into service and how were they used? Our 105's and our 155s both used 5 ton cargo trucks for ammo and our 8 inch SPs had a special track for ammo.

What is the little door in the back for? Are the trailers legal without fenders over the wheels? In Colorado civilian trailers (and vehicles) are required to have fenders covering all the wheels. The state doesn't enforce the law on SUVs, but they do on trailers.

AaronW

Little door in the tailgate allows the gate to be opened all the way, clearing the pintle and glad hands.

I'm going to use mine as a firewood hauler and for general cargo. The low deck height is handy.

Registration may depend on state. No problem here because no inspection is required.

Last edited:

poof

Dirty Hippie
Looks great.. Im getting ready to do mine as well..
I saw these quite a bit with towed 105 units. also used for support of morter crews. 81mm and 4.2 with mech Inf .. the trailer i have came from a guard unit in IN and was marked as a BIO trailer.
mine is dated 1964 i belive..

Good job

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I never noticed the landing gear had that little, I don't know.... ski? on the bottom. Is that to keep them from sinking in the mud?

MDSA

Fenders, or not having fenders, has not been an issue - yet. Pulled both ammo tarilers back from Richmond tandem and was passed many times by police and troopers, and not a problem. July 4 on the way to a parade turned right past 2 troopers parked at the top of a on-ramp for I-40, and not a problem. Officially they may be required, but I plan to show them the 1963 delivery date stamped on the data plate and tell the police my vintage military trailer was not originally equipped with fenders.

KaiserM109, I have no adea what the military originally intended to use them for. But I like my M332. The low deck is great, it pulls sweet (of course what trailer won't pull well behind a Deuce?), and I think it looks good.

slash79

we always used the skid on the landing gear so that we could move the trailers around the motor pool easily. you can pull a 105 or 101 around by yourself if its empty.

poof

Dirty Hippie
MDSA your post and efforts to your M332 ammo trailer.. got me motivated..
i did make my own stencil to replace "Explosives" plackard/sticker... I didnt think it would be wise to have the trailer marked "explosives" just incase there was an accedent and I was either not around or knocked out when police and fire rescue show up.:wink: It is going in its first Parade today..:p

there is more pictures in my sig line

Attachments

jcaiii

Can anyone tell me what the curb weight is for the M332? I am looking into one for use as a cargo/camping trailer and will tow it w/ my Jeep. Would like to use it around the farm as well for heavy hauling, but the tractor doesn't really care about weight as much as the Jeep.

jcaiii

might want to look for another trailer, the 332 is really heavy. if you do decide you want it, PM me. I have one for sale.
Cool, thanks very much for the prompt reply. I have been looking at the M101A1 as well.

Initially, there was an M105 for sale here locally, but it looked to be about the same weight as that M332. Need something light enough to haul w/ my '06 Rubicon and stout enough to handle off-road/farm use.

Great restorations by everyone though!

68t

Thanks for posting the pictures, I have not seen the later ammo trailer, I got a ww2 m10 ammo trailer, they look a lot alike, I still need a hitch for the rear, but got it blasted and painted, need fuse box also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks