• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So you want to buy a cheap truck from GL?

paramedic7831

I have heard on here all sites have different procedures. Some help you some dont. Some have people at site, some you have to make appointment . Some damage your equipment and say its your fault. Some give you x amount of days to get it off the lot if it runs or not. And if you dont get it off they take it.

Heath_h49008

I keep looking at all those M35A2s sitting at the GL for Fort Knox and trying to balance that with the risk and expense of a 300 mile tow to Michigan. 300 mile drive? No problem...

What do the M35A2s go for at auction? None of these seem to have winches, and all seem to be marked F7... How repairable is that?

Last edited:

JCKnife

I keep looking at all those M35A2s sitting at the GL for Fort Knox and trying to balance that with the risk and expense of a 300 mile tow to Michigan. 300 mile drive? No problem...

What do the M35A2s go for at auction? None of these seem to have winches, and all seem to be marked F7... How repairable is that?
If you think anyone can tell you what repairs are needed based on a code, go back and read the first post on pg 1 of this thread again!

Heath_h49008

If you think anyone can tell you what repairs are needed based on a code, go back and read the first post on pg 1 of this thread again!
So... that was helpful.

If someone actually has a real answer such as "F7 could be anything from a blown wheel seal to a tranny in a basket" (hopefully not) Or perhaps what their horror story was coded at, I would love to hear from someone with experience. Obviously, that doesn't lead to specifics, but it's supposed to mean something, I hope.

The snide, "stupid noob" comments I can do without. Thanks anyway. I get it, you don't like new guys, you know waaaayyyy more than we do, and the fact that we ask politely is offensive to you. I'm sorry you feel that way, please don't waste your precious time on idiots like me. Sorry to waste your time.

Last edited:

JCKnife

Heath let me rephrase: if the GL auction text is not to be trusted fully (and it is not), then there's NO WAY you can go by that little code. Honestly I never even look at that condition code and I think most of the time the people running the auctions don't either, or just throw something in there as an afterthought. Now on the other hand if you want to go do a preview at Knox I would love to go with you and we can look over the trucks and see which ones would suit you. I'm not by any means a full-on deuce mechanic but I've owned one for 2 years now and I've learned a lot here by being patient, reading, and asking questions (which is what you are doing, that's great).

When I bought my truck there were 30 trucks in the lot, and I went and made a spreadsheet of what each one had (hard top / soft top / winch or non / heater? etc) and then a couple notes about each one (soft brake pedal, dead battery, etc). When the auction came down to crunch time, all my favorite trucks were out of my range but one was still affordable. My only note about it said "started right up" so I bid and got it for $930. That was before the Nuclear Gauges Scare and it's been hard to find bargains since then but didn't someone just a couple weeks ago get an M109 for under a grand? I think so.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Heath_h49008

It was a late night. I apologize again.

I understand that the M35A2 has been pulled from the entire armed forces for disposal... I would think that H7/F7 would be blanket terms for anything they won't fix again. But, are the ones being sold now, towards the end of the population, the ones they were using, or the ones laying around that they have just dragged out? Or does it just go base-by-base?

The other posts when I read about H7/F7/ HX seem to be saying they were getting really nice trucks marked F7, and that the typical recording method was to UNDER rate the conditions to reduce unit expenses when they were in service. Makes sense, but those threads were from 2008-9.

This thread is a bit fresher, and indicates numerous problems and hastily assembled basket cases. Did the runners get sold first?

So the GL trucks are trending down in quality, up, or is it just whatever that base had, from cannibalized to recently operational?

As for going to look at them... it's a 6-7 hour drive. **** yeah! We can cover more ground as a team, and I can help take pics, and compile data for anyone who is interested. We might help some other guys looking at the same sale. Do I have to do anything special to get in to inspect?

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is turned in will vary from base to base. Don't even look at the codes, they are totally worthless. I have turned in unused stuff with A4/B4 codes to DRMO and have it show up on GL months later with F7 codes. As far as the trending, it will also vary but if you were a unit what would you turn in first? Best or worst? I am guessing that's why the refurbed A3's are appearing in greater numbers now, with less A2's. While the total deuce numbers are down.

JCKnife

As for going to look at them... it's a 6-7 hour drive. **** yeah! We can cover more ground as a team, and I can help take pics, and compile data for anyone who is interested. We might help some other guys looking at the same sale. Do I have to do anything special to get in to inspect?
Just call and make an appointment. I have previewed at Knox a couple times, they are very easy-going and flexible compared to other bases. Let me know what week you are thinking of and I'll give you a couple times I would be available. I can meet you somewhere along I-65 or just meet you there.

As for trends I cannot comment. I really have only looked at deuces in the auction I bought from. I did notice at least one truck in the Knox lot that has pics of 2 different trucks in the auction photos (a 5-ton). So even pics can't be trusted sometimes.

Heath_h49008

What is turned in will vary from base to base. Don't even look at the codes, they are totally worthless. I have turned in unused stuff with A4/B4 codes to DRMO and have it show up on GL months later with F7 codes. As far as the trending, it will also vary but if you were a unit what would you turn in first? Best or worst? I am guessing that's why the refurbed A3's are appearing in greater numbers now, with less A2's. While the total deuce numbers are down.
Worst... unless I was told I had to get x number off the lot by a certain time and the running ones were the only way to do that while I patched together the non-runners/junk. But that really gives me hope for the quality. The ones at my local dealer look like they have been parked for 20 years and half cannibalized. (All the glass cracked and clouded, rust holes...)

I think I'm getting a feel for the trends. And if I risk a few hundred $ and a road trip checking out auction trucks, to save me $1500-$2000 on the price of a local one from a place with a bad reputation, it's a good investment.

I'm also looking for any trusted brokers in the Knox area... if they even do that kind of thing. Or is that verboten, like a straw purchase for firearms because of the EUC? That's how I normally buy cars. (Find a small dealer, cover his cost and fee, and just do the auction directly with him bidding with my cash. No risk or expenses for him, but he only makes a few hundred no matter how good a deal the auction goes for.) It's the only way to get into the better auto auctions around here.

abh3

@ Streamline: I've experienced some frustration getting on base to preview at Eglin AFB. Called before leaving and was told to just call when I got to the gate. Called within a few miles of the gate, was told to call when I got to the gate. Called when I got to the gate and suddenly the lil' girlie was reeeeealllly busy and she'd get there when she could, turned into an hour wait. Thanks sweetie!!

So now I bid blind, bid low and seldom win anymore, no pigs-in-a-poke for me unless they are seriously cheap!

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@ Streamline: I've experienced some frustration getting on base to preview at Eglin AFB. Called before leaving and was told to just call when I got to the gate. Called within a few miles of the gate, was told to call when I got to the gate. Called when I got to the gate and suddenly the lil' girlie was reeeeealllly busy and she'd get there when she could, turned into an hour wait. Thanks sweetie!!

So now I bid blind, bid low and seldom win anymore, no pigs-in-a-poke for me unless they are seriously cheap!

You got to love government funded businesses and employes! If I was in my shop and I made a customer wait at my door for anywhere near that long I would be out of business because people would never come back.

Thats why the call it and AWARD when you get a government contract or job! Pay with no consequences! But Thats just my opinion!

Heath let me rephrase: if the GL auction text is not to be trusted fully (and it is not), then there's NO WAY you can go by that little code. Honestly I never even look at that condition code and I think most of the time the people running the auctions don't either, or just throw something in there as an afterthought. Now on the other hand if you want to go do a preview at Knox I would love to go with you and we can look over the trucks and see which ones would suit you. I'm not by any means a full-on deuce mechanic but I've owned one for 2 years now and I've learned a lot here by being patient, reading, and asking questions (which is what you are doing, that's great).

When I bought my truck there were 30 trucks in the lot, and I went and made a spreadsheet of what each one had (hard top / soft top / winch or non / heater? etc) and then a couple notes about each one (soft brake pedal, dead battery, etc). When the auction came down to crunch time, all my favorite trucks were out of my range but one was still affordable. My only note about it said "started right up" so I bid and got it for $930. That was before the Nuclear Gauges Scare and it's been hard to find bargains since then but didn't someone just a couple weeks ago get an M109 for under a grand? I think so.
Not sure if you are referring to the M109 I won, but I did get kinda lucky. Won it in early September and picked it up Sept. 15. Went for $935.00 including the buyers premium. I did have an advantage, though, I live less than an hour from Beauregard / Pineville, so it's pretty easy for me to preview there. I took a long hard look at this one before deciding to try for it. Had plenty of time to look around and make good notes of what was good or bad. Pineville is pretty good about letting people do inspections, although you do have to wait until the auction is actually underway.

The issues I knew about when I got mine were some cancerous rust at the rear door threshold, missing seat cushion and a missing blackout panel. Some surface rust here and there, etc.

When I went to get it, it had a dead in-tank fuel pump, but I got lucky there. A gentleman showed up to pick up a deuce for scrap and I bought his fuel pump for $20.00. The only issue I have found since then is a slight pinhole in the fuel tank.

I got lucky on my first purchase, a Deuce with winch. I didn't even preview that one, and it runs like a champ, but I think I was beyond lucky on that.

I definitely recommend previewing if it is doable at all.

LC

greenjeepster

Spoiler

GL trucks are all MINT, OFF OF THE SHOW ROOM FLOOR LIKE NEW!. Drop some batteries in them and drive them home. BID, BID,BID...:hammer:

Some forklift damage is to be expected, easy repair, see attached image.

Attachments

JCKnife

GL trucks are all MINT, OFF OF THE SHOW ROOM FLOOR LIKE NEW!. Drop some batteries in them and drive them home. BID, BID,BID...:hammer:

Some forklift damage is to be expected, easy repair, see attached image.
Man, I was gonna bid on that one but it's got an oil pan sitting under it...might have a bad leak...

JCKnife

Still waiting for EUC to clear. Lot manager thinks it will drive off with new batteries. Will let you know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks