• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So you want to buy a cheap truck from GL?

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like alot of people here are trying to stake their reputation as a reseller. Dont go to gl youll get a lemon! Buy mine instead! {whered you get it?}
:rolleyes:
Not sure who you are referring to, since I've only sold 2 trucks in 6 years, but this is an old post describing potential pitfalls of buying M809 series trucks on GL and expecting that you can just jump in and ride off into the sunset. Funny thing is, the same or similar risks exist with the M939 series trucks now being dumped on GL. My purpose in the original post was not to sell trucks, but to make sure you bid on GL with your eyes wide open, and aware that things can go wrong at every stage of the process. There are a lot of posts of successful purchases of great trucks that drive home 500 miles with no problems, but few posts of recoverys with Murphy riding along, or GL screwing things up royally.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My GL truck buy was in 9-2011, got a M35A3 with 1,672 miles, no problems right? Wrong, i did not even get off the base when i knew i was in trouble 1,400 miles from home, it had a fried 3 gear in the allison and 5 weeks later and $4,000.00 poor i got it home.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought a M35A2 from my local GL yard. Arrived to pick it up and the GL rep asked I knew the truck had a bent frame. Nope. The description seemed to be lacking that bit of info. Glad I had a backup plan in place.

And no I did not preview as I bid on it as if something would be wrong.

Kawgomoo

Banned
Im not saying its not a huge roll of the dice. But to me, driving it home is most of the fun!

If you aren't super mechanically inclined, the guy that all his neighbors ask to fix their crap. Then yes, i wouldnt even consider driving one home.

Its risky, sure. Towing it home is the smart thing to do. But smart and safe are generally not adjectives one would use to describe me.

If you are looking for adventure. Drive it. If you just want it home safe and sound. Tow it.

TexasJRabbit

so, hypothetically, if I told y'all that I am goin' preview GL at ft. hood next week and hypothetically, somebody asked me to preview, and I said, "sure" , would I be in trouble?

Tin Medic

Short answer is you should be fine. If you scroll down the main page at the bottom there are a few threads that will answer your preview questions in detail.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so, hypothetically, if I told y'all that I am goin' preview GL at ft. hood next week and hypothetically, somebody asked me to preview, and I said, "sure" , would I be in trouble?
Just don't talk about specific lots in the open forum. PM is fine.

acesneights1

OK, Bump. I read every page in his thread. I am thinking about bidding on a 5 ton that is roughly 6 hrs from me with hopes of driving it home. I don't know alot about them but I am a diesel and heavy truck mechanic so not too much I have not een. I would be less willing to take a chance if it were a deuce being the brake system is partial hydrualic. But after hitting up the rally in Sussex NJ this weekend and checking out alot of M923's I feel more confident. Although I have not worked on wedge brakes in a very long time(about 25yrs ago we had a cabover White with them, they sucked) I feel somewhat comfortable I could get one home. I plan to drive down(assuming I win) with my motorhome with a small enclosed trailer behind it and turn the trailer into a rolling shop. Air compressor, tools jacks welder generator etc.
Has anybody had any good/bad experiences with the late 80's early 90' 5 tons and what should I know ? Tricks etc ?
I got alot of advice from a few members here that were at the rally and one guy let me take his 923 for a spin around town(I was bit like you would not believe by the OD bug. My 8 yr old was ecstatic).
So am I nuts ? Tips ? Was gonna try to get a temp tag or borrow a dealer plate, will I have issues with not having the fuel stickers or apportioned plates ??

davo727

No you should manage ok. I have driven 2 home so far.

OK, Bump. I read every page in his thread. I am thinking about bidding on a 5 ton that is roughly 6 hrs from me with hopes of driving it home. I don't know alot about them but I am a diesel and heavy truck mechanic so not too much I have not een. I would be less willing to take a chance if it were a deuce being the brake system is partial hydrualic. But after hitting up the rally in Sussex NJ this weekend and checking out alot of M923's I feel more confident. Although I have not worked on wedge brakes in a very long time(about 25yrs ago we had a cabover White with them, they sucked) I feel somewhat comfortable I could get one home. I plan to drive down(assuming I win) with my motorhome with a small enclosed trailer behind it and turn the trailer into a rolling shop. Air compressor, tools jacks welder generator etc.
Has anybody had any good/bad experiences with the late 80's early 90' 5 tons and what should I know ? Tricks etc ?
I got alot of advice from a few members here that were at the rally and one guy let me take his 923 for a spin around town(I was bit like you would not believe by the OD bug. My 8 yr old was ecstatic).
So am I nuts ? Tips ? Was gonna try to get a temp tag or borrow a dealer plate, will I have issues with not having the fuel stickers or apportioned plates ??

Csm Davis

Going to throw this out again if you are buying at Camp Shelby understand your risk there were 6 trucks picked up at The RSMS SITE that were missing drive shafts and other things that were not pictured or listed yet guys are still buying and showing up wanting to drive them home with two batteries and five gallons of diesel. These are junkyard trucks! Not turn in from a unit, it doesn't matter what the rebuild date is, they were sent here to be rebuilt.

whiskey357

Banned
Howdy and everyone else is staying at the gate.....not sure buy one from a used truck dealer....they have adds all over this site...or just buy and have fun....already married so nothing is a surprise anymore....3 kids later .....I thought you said the tubes are tied..........Nice ex-air force M35A@ went on the block several months ago.....got my M35A2 from DRMO in Sparta,wi. Great shape and drove it home .....did some checks not all...too cold....Works great ...Great people at the DRMO...lots of help had a great time getting it out the main gate........Nothing happen on the drive home...Just weeks later So it cost a few bucks here and there .....Buy one ,Drive it , Have fun with it ...Get lost in it .......Break down in it...that normal heheheheh...Just had a LTD whisleter rebuild installed in it ........Runs like a raped ape......heheheh......This is a fun fun hobby and lots of folks will help you also....Have one help with a pre sale site inspection on the rig you want to win heheheheh.....later gator....

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get insurance before you drive it off. You should be fine and have a great time, but plan $$ as if it will be need to be towed off the freeway and later shipped 200 miles home so you can replace the dried seals at all 6 hubs, busted IP or other more involved repair.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy and everyone else is staying at the gate.....not sure buy one from a used truck dealer....they have adds all over this site...or just buy and have fun....already married so nothing is a surprise anymore....3 kids later .....I thought you said the tubes are tied..........Nice ex-air force M35A@ went on the block several months ago.....got my M35A2 from DRMO in Sparta,wi. Great shape and drove it home .....did some checks not all...too cold....Works great ...Great people at the DRMO...lots of help had a great time getting it out the main gate........Nothing happen on the drive home...Just weeks later So it cost a few bucks here and there .....Buy one ,Drive it , Have fun with it ...Get lost in it .......Break down in it...that normal heheheheh...Just had a LTD whisleter rebuild installed in it ........Runs like a raped ape......heheheh......This is a fun fun hobby and lots of folks will help you also....Have one help with a pre sale site inspection on the rig you want to win heheheheh.....later gator....
This looks like a case of PWI. I gave up after the first line.

bricksrkids

This is a great thread to bump.

I studied this site without posting for a long time and decided my first MV would be purchased from an indiviual. I paid more than a GL auction, but I know what I got. I have a very solid, well sorted out m923a2. Drove it home 920 miles without turning a single wrench or screw driver. Just added fuel.

After 2 weeks of ownership and about 1,000 miles and a 1,000 smiles, I know a lot about my rig and learning more every day.

i want another MV, so now that I understand everything better, I'll try a GL auction with the knowledge that (a.) I will only buy what I can preview, (b.) take very detailed pics, (c.) I will only pay what I consider is near scrap or part out prices in case it has problems that I didn't spot.

Thanks to everyone on this site. Can't wait to meet everyone in October.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks