• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

C-Turbo or D-Turbo?

brhino89

Hey all, I am new to this site and I am planning on getting an M35A2 in December after I am in the Guard. My question is, which is better, a C-Turbo or a D-Turbo on an M35? Please explain why and the Pros and Cons of each..Thanks a lot! Answers are very appreciated..Brian.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They say the "D" produces a little more boost but the power isn't noticable. Basicly it's just the sound thats the difference. Some people like the scream of the "C" and some don't. For me the type of turbo wouldn't make or break the sale. I've got a "C" on my truck but that's just because that's the way it happened to be when I got it.

I've got a freind that swears my "C" turbo truck has more power than a "D" turbo truck I have for sale. I've driven them both and that's not the case, he just thinks the "C" truck sounds more powerfull.

Last edited:

brhino89

Cool, thanks a lot guys! I am going with the C Turbo then. I had thought the D Turbo came with a Whistler as well, but I guess not..I love the Whistle on these bad boys, I have heard a few go by at around 3:30 in the morning and well, it shook my house a little and woke me up fast! Haha, your help is much appreciated!

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You are confusing your terms. Are you asking about c & d motor blocks, or about c & d turbos. There are both. I have been told by the guys that rebuild the turbos that the D is made better. I have yet to see shorter lifespan in the C turbos though.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "D" turbo has a bigger bearing, a extra heat shield, and a larger compressor wheel and housing. The "D" also has a better oil flow system for the bearing. The "C" sounds better to most guys. The "C" is more than capable of outlasting the truck. But is more prone to baking oil in the turbine end seal ring. Your power level is far more dependent on the fuel rate setting than witch turbo you have.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Oh yeah, go on a road trip with someone with a C turbo. After I helped Stretch bring his m108 home, I knew I would never want a C turbo. The whistle is fun for short trips. long trips suck with them.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two trucks, one with a C turbo and one with a D. The C turbo truck far and away outperforms the D. That being said I think the C truck has the IP turned up and the power has little to do with the turbo.

I'll agree with Gimp, it can wear on you driving a C unless you have lots of good hearing protection on the whole time. I never noticed the difference in the turbo until I had both of them sitting side by side running one day.

sw

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I could add- the D has an updated (modern) compressor wheel design. I put a D on a LD(non-turbo) smoker and it pegged the 15psi manifold press gauge, with very high EGT. I turned down the pump over 2 full turns and it still runs stronger than most. Currently 12psi at 2500rpm/13 at 2600 w/ safe EGT. The whistle may be the turbine blade tips, or vortices coming off them, exceeding the speed of sound.

rat4spd

I love the sound of the "C", however it is just ungodly loud. I'm not talking about concerns going down the freeway. Sometimes I drive the truck to work.. I work second shift. When I come home I have to stop in a local gas station for a few minutes to cool things down. Otherwise that truck idling in my driveway would cause a revolt in my neighborhood. You can hear that turbo idling two blocks away.

mudguppy

.... The whistle may be the turbine blade tips, or vortices coming off them, exceeding the speed of sound.
no. a turbo would not last long if this where the case, nor would it even perform well, if at all. it would likely fly apart way before that.

the whistle is produced as a by-product of the exducer design. typically, the fewer the vanes, the more prone to whistle a turbo has. example: ford 6.0L powerstroke - '03 motors "whistle", '04s much less, and '05 - '07s barely at all. '03 turbos had 10 vanes, then 13, then 14 and 15 respectively.

however, inducer design can also produce quite a bit of whistle. example: 2nd gen cummins - go remove the "silencer ring" and you'll get under-hood whistle, especially if you remove the stock filter box.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for making me look bad:oops:, and setting the record straight:-D. I just wiki whistle and
The whistle works by causing the smooth flow of air to be split by a narrow blade, sometimes called a fipple, creating a turbulent vortex which causes the air to vibrate. By attaching a resonant chamber to the basic whistle, it may be tuned to a particular note and made louder. The length of the chamber typically defines the resonance frequency. A whistle may also contain a small light ball, usually called the pea, which rattles around inside, creating a chaotic vibrato effect that intensifies the sound. Japanese bird whistles use several small balls and are half filled with water in order to reproduce the sound of a bird song.
I'll bet the turbo does not employ the small light ball thingy:wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks