• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Wheel Bearing Lock Nut Torque M1028A1

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Repacked front wheel bearings on my 1986 M1028A1 and torqued the nuts according to the -20 TM. Afterwards I looked at the Chilton's manual and got conflicting information.

The -20 TM says to torque the inner nut to 50 ft lbs, loosen it, then re-torque to 50 ft lbs. Back the nut off lining up the pin on the nut with a hole in the washer, then torque the outer nut to 160 ft lbs.
The Chilton's manual says to torque the inner nut to 50 ft lbs, loosen then re-torque to 35 ft lbs., install the washer, then torque the outer nut to 65 ft lbs for 1 ton vehicles. (The Chilton's manual also says 160-205 ft lbs on 1981 and later 1/2 and 3/4 ton models.)

Anyone know which is correct?

A forum search did not answer my specific question.

kennyw

The correct procedure according to my 1979 GM factory service manual:

Torque the inner nut to 50 ft-lbs while rotating the bearing hub, then back off and re-torque to 35 ft-lbs while rotating the bearing hub.

Then, back off the inner nut again 3/8 turn maximum.

Next install washer and outer nut and torque to 65 ft-lbs.

Hub should have .001 to .010 inch end play for all K10, K20, and K30 models

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are the figures (50/35/65) I'm leaning towards. I'll re-torque and drive around for a while and see what happens. I also located a Spicer (Dana) maintenance manual for the 60 and it says to torque both at 50 ft lbs. It isn't specific to model years though.
Thanks

kennyw

Either way, you should back off the inner nut after the final torque to achieve the .001-.010 end play when your done. The torque of the outer locknut should not affect much at 60 or 160 ft-lbs. It just keeps the washer in place, which keeps the inner locknut from backing out/rotating.

OLDCHEV4X4

Torque the inner nut to 50 ft-lbs while rotating the bearing hub, then back off and re-torque to 35 ft-lbs while rotating the bearing hub.

Then, back off the inner nut again 3/8 turn maximum.

Next install washer and outer nut and torque to 65 ft-lbs.

Hub should have .001 to .010 inch end play for all K10, K20, and K30 models
This is how i do it too. On Dana 44, 10 bolt, and Dana 60.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the input guys, I had a feeling when I looked at the TM that it just didn't seem accurate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks